Question Apeks Inflation Valve Backing Disc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!
Noted a leak in the front, thought it was the inflator, unfortunately it is the backing disk. The suit is Whites Fusion Bullet, the inflator is Apeks. Searching on line, I could only find places that sale the disk in Europe. Anybody knows a place in US that might carry this item?
Thank you

Attachments

• tempImageM7zO6B.png
    tempImageM7zO6B.png
    548.4 KB · Views: 54
  • tempImage3Nc5D7.png
    tempImage3Nc5D7.png
    884.2 KB · Views: 42
  • tempImageZy8pqS.png
    tempImageZy8pqS.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 47
  • tempImageUsz7Tv.png
    tempImageUsz7Tv.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 57
I'm not sure how to source that specific part, but you could consider doing what DUI does with their suits - which is to use RTV Silicone to basically create a gasket for you when you install it.

You'd basically just remove that backing piece that is ripped and put some RTV silicone around the inner edge of the base and maybe a little on the inflator side and then screw it in. It creates the seal between the two parts and is in direct contact with the fabric of your drysuit. (later, when you remove it, it will be a clear disk that looks like the black plastic part that you already have)

The downside to doing this is that it's a bit more difficult to remove (it's not that hard if you have the removal tool, but would be tougher without one)

(It doesn't take a lot of the RTV Silicone to make a good seal. I think DUI is known for slapping way too much on and it getting in the threads etc)

I'm not sure how to source that specific part, but you could consider doing what DUI does with their suits - which is to use RTV Silicone to basically create a gasket for you when you install it.

You'd basically just remove that backing piece that is ripped and put some RTV silicone around the inner edge of the base and maybe a little on the inflator side and then screw it in. It creates the seal between the two parts and is in direct contact with the fabric of your drysuit. (later, when you remove it, it will be a clear disk that looks like the black plastic part that you already have)

The downside to doing this is that it's a bit more difficult to remove (it's not that hard if you have the removal tool, but would be tougher without one)

(It doesn't take a lot of the RTV Silicone to make a good seal. I think DUI is known for slapping way too much on and it getting in the threads etc)
I will defiantly look into it. My first attempt to aqua seal the gasket, did not work out. the rubber is too old and it broke in a different place while I was pulling the "skin" over it.

Attachments

• tempImagec8MLRa.png
    tempImagec8MLRa.png
    618 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom