Apeks Atx200 or Atomic B2 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell:
I agree. You will continue to get divided responses. Either reg will be good. The point made above about you not needing the sealed 1st stage or the heat-sink is valid though. As for warantee for Atomics, they cover all parts for 2 years, all titanium parts against corrosion for life. The good part is you can't void your warantee by missing a scheduled service; which, by the way, is 2 years or 300 dive hours.

Good luck. Be sure to post what you decided on.

There you go then, I guess its a vote for apeks. Service for life with parts.

What exactly does "Service for life with parts" mean? Is it free service? or only on defects?

koo:
Hi,

Have anyone experienced with these regulators (Apeks Atx200 and/or Atomic B2 ) I am deciding which to get. Mostly, dive in warm water. If anyone has tested these regulator, your comment would be a great help.Thanks,
SF

I have a B2 second stage hooked to a ScubaPro MK20. I had a G250 and have tried a few other regs. No doubt, the Atomic breaths really easy, even at 70 meters. My only complaint is that after 5 years the all plastic face plate just rotted away and fell apart. And the LP hose that came with the second stage new started leaking badly at the reg end connection. I only dive in warm water too. Nothing beyond 21 degree latitude.

Originally Posted by Kestrell
I agree. You will continue to get divided responses. Either reg will be good. The point made above about you not needing the sealed 1st stage or the heat-sink is valid though. As for warantee for Atomics, they cover all parts for 2 years, all titanium parts against corrosion for life. The good part is you can't void your warantee by missing a scheduled service; which, by the way, is 2 years or 300 dive hours.

Good luck. Be sure to post what you decided on.

There you go then, I guess its a vote for apeks. Service for life with parts.

Don't put words in my mouth; that's my wife's job.

By the way, no Apeks for me (as good as it is) I chose an Atomic M1.

Hank49:
I have a B2 second stage hooked to a ScubaPro MK20. I had a G250 and have tried a few other regs. No doubt, the Atomic breaths really easy, even at 70 meters. My only complaint is that after 5 years the all plastic face plate just rotted away and fell apart. And the LP hose that came with the second stage new started leaking badly at the reg end connection. I only dive in warm water too. Nothing beyond 21 degree latitude.

5 years?!

According to Atomic Aquatic's website the B2 was introduced in 2003.

I have two Atomic B1's. (for use on doubles)
They breath really great, and the ergonomics are very nice, too. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

There are people who swear by either Atomic or Apeks. Apeks have a much better environmental sealing system for diving in ice-cold water or silty environments, Atomics are often said to breath a little better. (Although both are excellent; either is more than good enough.)

As for service/warranty, Apeks offers free parts as long as you do a yearly overhaul, but the warranty and free parts expire if you miss a service. Last time I did my service, Atomic didn't offer free parts, but the B2, T1x, M1 have a two year service interval and their warranty is valid lifetime whether you service them or not.

I would suggest you take a look at both and decide for yourself. Me, of course I'm going to recommend an Atomic! :)
BTW, if you want to save some money the Z1 has the same performance as the B2, M1, T1x at a significantly lower price, although it needs to be serviced once a year instead of every two years. (I think it would be OK to do it once every two years for a few reasons, but do so at your own risk.)

Kestrell:
5 years?!

According to Atomic Aquatic's website the B2 was introduced in 2003.

Maybe it's a B1.? I got this one in 1999. Whatever their model was then.

NHColdwater:
What exactly does "Service for life with parts" mean? Is it free service? or only on defects?

Parts for life refers to Apeks providing every single part you need in a service on their regulators. So whatever you pay for service is labour only and if you have it serviced within their recommendations (second stages every year, complete overhaul every other year) you will have a lifetime warranty and never ever pay for parts. Pretty sweet deal.

koo:
Hi,

Have anyone experienced with these regulators (Apeks Atx200 and/or Atomic B2 ) I am deciding which to get. Mostly, dive in warm water. If anyone has tested these regulator, your comment would be a great help.

Thanks,
SF

I just bought an Apeks ATX50. The ATX50 and the ATX200 have about identical specs. Hose routing is different but that's about it. So unless you just like the looks of the 200 I'd go for the 50.

Now if you compare the Apex 50 or 200 to the atomic. The techs that work on them tell me that for beach diiving in sand the Apex will really take it. The environmental seal keeps the internards clean while Atomics may required more service if used in dirty environments.
Most people say the atomic breaths even better then the Apeks but it lacks the Apek's seal. Does not matter if you only dive off boats

What did it for me was cost. I got my ATX50 for a third the price of an Atomic B2. Yes atx200 price was closer but again I can't see why to get a 200 over the 50.

One more data point: I find that the controls on the Apex second stange are very effective. This is not true of all controlable second stages.

Back
Top Bottom