Apeks ATX series observation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought a set of ATX40 regs as a present... couldn't help but notice the similarities between the ATX40 second stage and ATX200 second stages - basically as far as I can tell, they are identical apart from the lack of a finetuning knob on the ATX200. Faceplates and diaphragms are interchangeable. So following that line of thought, the ATX50, ATX100 and ATX200 second stages are all identical apart from the decal on the front? Can anyone confirm?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...............Can anyone confirm?

Hi,

The differences between these second stages are:

AT20
AT20+heat exchanger+decal 40= ATX40
AT20+heat exchanger+poppet+decal 50= ATX50
AT20+improved heat exchanger+poppet+decal 100= ATX100
AT20+improved heat exchanger+poppet+decal 200= ATX200

de difference between the standard heat exchanger and the improved one, is that the improved one has more threads and thus has better warming capabilities. This is necessary is the ATX100/200 can produce more air in short time and has to be 'warmed' more, so Apeks has added more thread to it.

Also the heat exchangers come in satin finish, which is used for atx100/200 and chrome finish which is used for apeks atx40/50 and suunto teno regs.

These heat exchanger are made of brass and must fit exactly on the second stages. They are expensive. In Germany I have seen them selling for $29-$45. I have heard that there are LDS's who buy at20's and upgrade them to atx40 by adding the heat exchanger.
Apeks is trying to avoid this and is asking huge amounts of money for this.

I someone wants to upgrade to a ATX40, one should by the ATX100/200 heat exchanger instead of the atx40 heat exchanger. (both are the same price, but the 100/200 exchanger has more capability)

supervisor once bubbled...

AT20+improved heat exchanger+poppet+decal 100= ATX100
AT20+improved heat exchanger+poppet+decal 200= ATX200

Please forgive my naivete, but are you saying that the only difference between the ATX100 and ATX200 (besides the price), is a decal?

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...

Please forgive my naivete, but are you saying that the only difference between the ATX100 and ATX200 (besides the price), is a decal?

Matt

Seems to me taht the ATX200 is slightly lighter too.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Seems to me taht the ATX200 is slightly lighter too.

R..

Correct! The first stage of the ATX200 is ligther than the ATX100 first stage.

The second stages are the same.

Hmm, this just isn't clicking in my head for some reason. Why would you name the second stage differently because of the first stage that comes with it? They're two independent pieces of equipment that can be interchanged, correct?

What if you buy the second stage without a first stage? What do you ask for? What do you receive? More importantly, is there a price difference between purchasing the ATX200 second stage and the ATX100 when the first stage is not involved?

Is Apeks the only company to name their second stages this way?

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
Hmm, this just isn't clicking in my head for some reason. Why would you name the second stage differently because of the first stage that comes with it? They're two independent pieces of equipment that can be interchanged, correct?
That's why I'm asking the question - I wasn't aware of the heat exchanger differences supervisor pointed out, but the ATX100 and ATX200 at least would appear to be identical, and the breathing characteristics of the ATX50/100/200 would seem to be identical. I love my ATX200 first stages, but it would seem that the second stage has just been relabeled for the "premium" regulator in the lineup. As far as I know, the ATX200 is only available as a pair - the first or second stage is not available for individual sale, and if you want the first stage, you're stuck buying the "premium" second stage as part of the package. Personally, I would have been happy to replace both of my ATX200 second stages with ATX40s at purchase time - I used the TX50 for a year and never had need to use the finetuning knob on the second stage - it's just another place for sand to get lodged when shore-diving.

xoomboy once bubbled...
Hmm, this just isn't clicking in my head for some reason....
Matt

Maybe you should drop a email to the technical services of Apeks to loose this click....

I did... and I got answer within a day. Apeks has good customer service.

supervisor once bubbled...

Maybe you should drop a email to the technical services of Apeks to loose this click....

Just dropped them a note. Will post their answer when I receive it.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom