Apartment living, where to put all the gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in a small apartment with small closets. And no garage. As I accumulate more and more dive gear, it is getting more and more difficult to figure out where to put stuff.

So to those of you with experience in such matters, what do you do?

I keep my gear in one of two places: Front closet near the entrance that is about 4 feet deep or the back of my car. Mostly the back of my car as I try to go dive every weekend in the summer months.

Places like Lowes sell metal rolling racks that have a top and bottom shelf, one of those would hold all of your gear nicely and could be rolled into a corner and covered with a sheet to keep it out of your way.

I am in a condo and in the same situation. There are cabinets/portable closets you can buy..I am looking into that. Right now, the eqipment enhances my living room..lol

Either that, or i'll get rid of all kitchen supplies and use that space. I am really good at ordering take out.

Plan A: Store it at Mom's house.

Plan B: Marry well and "let her" to buy a 4500 sf house, build yourself a 4000 sf (guys only) pole barn w/AC office and indoor parking for your ATVs, ultra-light and two seat sports car. That is your private storage. This is not likely to occur if you had the Plan A option available to you.

Plan C: Leave it in your van. When I got my apartment, I quit living in my van so this method worked out well for me. You could also park the van behind the pole barn if plan B worked out.

Plan D: Scatter it around the house, utilizing parts of it as furniture. Fins work well to bolster up a sagging couch, wetsuits make oh-so-comfy floor mats for standing and working in the kitchen. Masks have many uses. I have seen lovely floor lamps using an Alu80 as a base. Lead weights may be used to communicate more effectively with your downstairs neighbor. I still haven't found an alternitive use for the BCD, so I just wear it around my apartment like a vest. Chicks dig this. Just show 'em your saftey sausage- failing that, whip out the ol' pink snorkel. Dive knife? You need to open cans of beans, right?

Plan D: Stuff it all very tightly into a black canvas duffel bag and use it as a bean bag chair.

Plan E: Box it up and mail it to yourself via Parcel Post. It's very slow and cheap and they'll hold it at the local USPO for weeks (because they can't get it into your mail slot at the apartment) before returning it to sender (you), the cycle begins anew and they'll have to hold it for another few weeks. I do this all the time with our Ferrets when we go on extended dive trips. Used to do it to the kids but they passed all those pesky laws.

Necessity is a mother.

dont forget you can take the valve out of your tank and use it as a piggy bank (I actually do this and it is my Trukk fund!) as far as the mask.... candy bowl!

My building rents me a storage bin for an extra $55 per month.

What do you sleep on? I've got a queen-sized box spring and mattress supported by a wood futon frame that perches on four 16" cinder blocks (upright). It may not sound like much, but there's a whole world of storage space under there. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom