AOW student looking to take tech route- wondering how i can get the edge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crickets . . .
Still Googling, give it a few days. Not much on wikipedia about mask skills and how they're implemented in tech diving training, so this one might take him a while.

Usually, you back up your strongly held positions with at least some form of reasoning, why won't you do that here?

I think you're mistaking him for someone else. Whenever anyone has asked him for documentation or backing for his claims he ignores the post and/or leaves the thread. This one will be no different.

Nereas, you've yet to articulate any reason for your anti-mask removal attitude. Usually, you back up your strongly held positions with at least some form of reasoning, why won't you do that here?

Get in line, I'm still waiting for him to explain the primary clipped off to the necklace spew.

and the use of a snorkel on stages deco dives.

...and his rather bizarre combination of gases for a 70m dive

... and his unique take on nitrox and partial pressures

... and his new "standard" gases that "everyone" uses

... and why V-planner is superb and everything else is inferior

This is now a very long line :(

Does nereas actually dive? :confused:

and the use of a snorkel on stages deco dives.

...and his rather bizarre combination of gases for a 70m dive

... and his unique take on nitrox and partial pressures

... and his new "standard" gases that "everyone" uses

... and why V-planner is superb and everything else is inferior

This is now a very long line :(
.....and why diving DRY with steel doubles in the ocean is dangerous.

Who knows. If he actually DOES tech dive, it won't be for long.

Standby-One...GOOGLE is currently unavailable he will return your question as soon as he is able to GOOGLE the words "DIVE" "SCUBA" and "TECHNICAL DIVING"

Additionally his dog ate his Recreational Encyclopedia of Diving and ebay is currently fresh out of new copies.

In the IANTD Adv. Nitrox course, you have to perform a gas chase of 15 meters with no mask, and no reg. During training, they increase your task loading and stress through various methods, one of which is removing the mask (implying a mask failure... could be a strap breaking) during drills, especially the shutdown drill. Building mental toughness, and the ability to keep a wide perspective during emergencies is very important if you are going to begin pushing limits of recreational diving. People shouldn't get Tech certified if they can't do this. So if having a mask failure during training is something you aren't comfortable with, you should stick with Rec diving. That said, you can always learn to fly a BP/W and DIN regs because of the proven benefits, even though you remain within recreational imits.

It is fascinating to ponder what some people think is appropriate.

People who have had their masks ripped off seem to think it is appropriate.

Just as abused children when they grow up seem to think that child abuse is ok too, and thus the cycle of abuse continues.:no:

The point of asking a potential instructor what he/she thinks is to find out about them.

If I were the O/P who originally asked the question, I would definitely find out of any of the instructors you are talking to rip off masks. And if they do, my advice would be to avoid them.

**** your kidding right???

I had a deco bottle unclipped and out in front of me when my right post was shut off and then my mask ripped off. This while in mid water following a buddy that if I trailed too far behind I would have had an oog thrown in as well. Oh and then there was the hand your mask to the instructor swim out I line and clip both your bottles to it. Now swim to the other end and let the other three divers do the same. Next go find and clip on your bottles now in complete black out from the silt and don’t lose the line. Also make sure your bottles are in the right order.

Was this realistic?? No but some of it could be and if you can handle task loading like that then single problems become easy.

PM me I will make sure you do not take his class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom