AOW Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Brian (BDub) and I co-wrote the material. It's a project we started working on together back when we were both DM's and contemplating becoming instructors.

I found that book much more helpful then the NAUI book that goes with AOW.

laivindil makes a good point. Does NAUI have any plans to update thier ASD materials? That book is awful.

I sat down the first night I got it, excited to actually learn something. After twenty minutes of reading I was fairly disappointed. I felt somewhat ripped paying $60 for that book.

Jake

nwbrewer:
laivindil makes a good point. Does NAUI have any plans to update thier ASD materials? That book is awful.

I sat down the first night I got it, excited to actually learn something. After twenty minutes of reading I was fairly disappointed. I felt somewhat ripped paying $60 for that book.

Jake

Lets be fair. With what BDub and NWGratefulDiver know about diving and teaching they could be writing the NAUI manuals. We're lucky to be learning from them.

nwbrewer:

Jake

Perhaps but it did tell you about all of the topics you could study in greater detail in other courses. :)

To the OP... When picking AOW courses (if you have a choice) slect skills and adventures (deep, nav,night, S&R, not hobbies (photography, naturalist).

I see you've gotten some good information regarding the content of AOW.

As a new diver myself and currently progressing through AOW, I'll tell you how I felt about each course.

In OW, I learned all the basic technicalities of how nitrogen can affect my body, how to put on a wetsuit, BCD, tank, etc., how to descend, clear my mask, use my buddy's octopus, swim 200 yards to a buoy, and generally pick my *** at 25' on my knees holding a line while the other students learned the same things.

What I didn't learn in OW, is how to dive. But I recognize that you have to learn the basics first. Even just sitting around while the other students performed their tasks meant there was time for me to relax and get comfortable in a very controlled dive.

Now I've completed three AOW dives (covering four topics, deep, wreck, multi-level, and fish ID) and doing two more dives this weekend (night and navigation). Last night, I tested and became certified with Enriched Air.

And now I feel like I'm learning how to dive.

The following weekend I'm joining a group on a day boat. The group will include my instructors who have become friends to us. I'm going to take it easy, stay well within my limits and enjoy a little bottom time without my training wheels.

My opinion is that if you're a brand new diver with no other experience, OW doesn't turn you into a diver. You either need to gain experienced with other experienced divers who will guide along the way, or continue your education with AOW and beyond, or better yet....both.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom