AOW & Nitrox course - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated. Nitrox is an elearning course. I've advised a few diving buddies to sign up for the PADI Elearning via their local shops so they can do the online part of the course at home, and then pay a visit to their local dive shops to analyze a couple of thanks. None of them were given any sort of quiz. Either way it's an easy course that you don't need to waste a dive on. If you can save some money by making it one of the 5 AOW specialties than why not.

The AOW course itself is only as good or bad, as the instructor.
The PADI eLearning is followed up with a 10 question quiz, in addition to the two simulated dives. I also use that time for a show and tell / discussion on tank markings and stickers, analysis logs, common practices versus perfect practices. And if the student has their own dive computer, we go through the Nitrox menus and options. I tell them to plan for an hour or so with me.

The PADI eLearning is followed up with a 10 question quiz, in addition to the two simulated dives.

That may be the case, and perhaps that material is covered to some extent in the online course. I have no doubt it's "supposed to be done". All I can tell you is that when I did my PADI Nitrox certification many years ago, and having seen 3 dive buddies go through the course in recent years (2 of them being in different states), none of us were given a quiz by the local dive shop.

Why would someone “waste” an AOW dive on something that doesn’t require a dive?

If that is in regard to my post please let me clarify my rather sloppy post. 5 dives are required for AOW, everyone knows that. It's my understanding that Nitrox certification doesn't require a dive, so if the Op is correct and Nitrox could be considered one of the specialties for the AOW, I have no clue what happens with that 5th dive. I'll guess it's just a regular dive without any particular skills being taught, the only difference being the diver is breathing Nitrox and has to analyze their tanks beforehand and determine and maintain the diving to within the MOD. When I say it's a "waste" of a dive, what I meant was it's a lost opportunity to learn some new skills.

GUE (Global Underwater Explorers, Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers) fundies (short for fundamentals) is a gatekeeper skills course for GUE's technical courses (GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers). There are similar agencies in UTD and ISE. What I mean by gatekeeper is that prior to taking technical diving courses, one must meet the performance requirements of this skills foundation course.

Unfortunately, in most cases, c-cards are purchased rather than earned. Organizations like GUE, UTD, and ISE (and RAID) have clear, objective standards for what constitutes skills mastery. This is why I encourage divers to seek training in those organizations or instructors with that mindset (like me! :wink: )

I hope this answers your questions.
I think I was misunderstood the string of communication and am deleting my reply..

Why I ask the question is because a nitrox dive as part of AOW is under discussion on a women’s only FB diving group. I think it’s unnecessary as once you know how to analyze/label tanks and read the table to get your MOD, it’s a matter of setting your computer correctly and staying above your MOD. It’s not rocket science! Do nitrox beforehand and then you can use nitrox on all your AOW dives.

Why I ask the question is because a nitrox dive as part of AOW is under discussion on a women’s only FB diving group. I think it’s unnecessary as once you know how to analyze/label tanks and read the table to get your MOD, it’s a matter of setting your computer correctly and staying above your MOD. It’s not rocket science! Do nitrox beforehand and then you can use nitrox on all your AOW dives.
Yes, if Nitrox is the 5th AOW dive, one might consider it unnecessary. But some divers may also want to be walked through the actual analysis, setting their computer, and even using the planning mode on their computer after the dive. Which is why I offer the choice, and don’t decide for them.

Yes, if Nitrox is the 5th AOW dive, one might consider it unnecessary. But some divers may also want to be walked through the actual analysis, setting their computer, and even using the planning mode on their computer after the dive. Which is why I offer the choice, and don’t decide for them.

That’s what the nitrox course is for. Not just one dive.

Yes, if Nitrox is the 5th AOW dive, one might consider it unnecessary. But some divers may also want to be walked through the actual analysis, setting their computer, and even using the planning mode on their computer after the dive.

The way you describe it, doing the Nitrox certification as one of the 5 AOW dives IS a waste of a dive. I mean, unlike virtually every other AOW specialty, you're doing absolutely NOTHING during the entire dive that relates to the training material. Except of course breathing a gas mixture that has a bit more oxygen in it.

The only benefit is that there might be a nominal cost savings , as long as the diver doesn't mind the wasted dive.

Only a waste if the student think it’s a waste. If they find value in me walking through it “wet” after having learned it “dry,” that Is entirely their choice.

Back
Top Bottom