AOW necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps some day a dive op will try to restrict me to 60' because I have only an OW card, but it has not happened yet while diving in a lot of different places. After a few minutes chatting while filling out the paperwork, the only question I sometimes get from the DM is what max depth am I comfortable diving to on the profile that they had planned for the dive. I would never discourage a diver from getting AOW, but for me, the lack of that card has never caused me to miss a dive, or not dive those profiles that I chose to dive, am prepared to dive, and have the personal experience to dive. I know better than anyone else what my personal limits are on any given day, and could care less what card I or anyone else has in their wallet. After seeing a lot of AOW divers, I am convinced the AOW course would have been a waste of money for me. Not for everyone--just for me.

What about nitrox certification? I.e. if I read the books and get trained but don't pay for the PADI card, will they let me dive nitrox?

Pretty sure you can't get nitrox without the card. Do you really need it? I only ask that as my buddy has the cert. and I don't. Yet he is too cheap right now to pay the few bucks extra for the nitrox.

Two thoughts.
- If the operator takes you to do deep dives without being certified as deepdiver (part of the AOWD), I would not feel comfortable nor confident with that operator.
- If you take the AOWD and you feel that the course contents and the instructor gives you nothing, then the Instructor and the dive school you've chosen were not correct. You should have chosen a better dive school and better instructor.

Disagree. That statement will restart the argument that because a diver completes the AOW course which included one deep dive, they are now proficient at deep dives because they can show a particular c-card and that an OW diver with years of diving experience shouldn't be comfortable with an operator because the dive master went below 60 ft. But you have the right to how you feel! I appreciate the dive op that will take me on dives regardless of certification level.

AOWD, depending on the certification agency, is formed by 4 specialties with CheckOut dives (actually SNSI requires 5 specialties). Each specialty requieres 2 CheckOut dives. To get the AOWD card, all the specialties have to be Checked Out. So, to get the AOWD card you will need 8 or 10 dives.
At least, PADI, SSI and SNSI (those I do know) requiere 2 CheckOut dives for each specialty. Don't know of other agencies, but shouldn't be different, as any specialty card is valid in any agency.

The PADI website (I checked when I read this post) still shows that AOW consists of 2 required dives, deep and underwater navigation, and 3 other adventure dives for a total of 5 dives. You don't need to complete 5 specialty courses to get the AOW certification, only one introductory dive from 5 different specialties.

The dives I did in Cozumel were with an operator from Playa and they did ask me my certification level and log book.
The local dives I do, the operators I use do know my dive history.

All ops will ask for certification cards, but not all will ask for logbook. I can't remember ever being asked for my logbook except when I did my OW checkout dives in 1998, or as a courtesy by the DM so they could sign it.

Could be. I've seen many operators that do not require any log book or cert. **** happens and if something goes wrong, as an operator he will have to respond for someone that was diving deep without a card. Business is business and some operators prefer to look aside and get the money, but they trust too much in luck and "nothing will happen", until something happens.
The PADI web site is something confusing (at least for me) about the requirements for AOWD. At least SSI and SNSI are as mentioned. I'm doing the IDC and studied the little letters of the Standards, so, I guess that PADI shouldn't be different as the cards are equivalent.

Pretty sure you can't get nitrox without the card. Do you really need it? I only ask that as my buddy has the cert. and I don't. Yet he is too cheap right now to pay the few bucks extra for the nitrox.

I probably won't need it. This is my first dive-focused vacation, and I'm trying to pack as much bottom time in as I can, but it sounds like residual nitrogen from diving air likely won't be a problem. Is that a correct inference?

I probably won't need it. This is my first dive-focused vacation, and I'm trying to pack as much bottom time in as I can, but it sounds like residual nitrogen from diving air likely won't be a problem. Is that a correct inference?

Take out the tables and a calculator, and run through your dive plan for the week. Two 80 al tanks a day no problem. Four 120 steel's you got problems.

Relax and try to concentrate on your air consumption. As a new diver you will probably be limited by tank capacity than nitrogen loading.

Take it easy. Don't try to dive all in the very beginning. Go slowly and calmly. Dive safe and dive the next day. Learn from your own errors, start in the easy way and progress with more challenging dives. Dive shallow, enjoy the water, enjoy the feeling. Read a lot, study your books, go to the courses, make many questions and find the answers. Try new ways in a safe environment. Go to a pool, swimm a lot, get comfortable in the water. Going to the extremes in the very beginning could take you by surprise without the required experience and situational awareness that only slowly gained experience can give you. Dive within your own experience and comfort level. Do not force your luck.

Incorrect. You will need to manage ndls for all diving in Cozumel. In fact, you will want to use a computer or you will be excessively limiting your dive times. Four dives per day will get you in trouble if you just follow the group, most of whom are doing 2 or 3 dives per day. A conservative computer following the group is also likely to put you in violation.

Incorrect. You will need to manage ndls for all diving in Cozumel. In fact, you will want to use a computer or you will be excessively limiting your dive times. Four dives per day will get you in trouble if you just follow the group, most of whom are doing 2 or 3 dives per day. A conservative computer following the group is also likely to put you in violation.
I'll be using my Tusa Element II -- it's my impression it's supposed to have a middle-of-the-road conservativeness.

I use a rather liberal oceanic and still need to manage my dives to stay within ndls. It is not at all difficult. Just pay attention and don't assume you are OK just because you are mostly following the group. Be especially careful if you throw in afternoon and night dives.

Enjoy.

Could be. I've seen many operators that do not require any log book or cert. **** happens and if something goes wrong, as an operator he will have to respond for someone that was diving deep without a card. Business is business and some operators prefer to look aside and get the money, but they trust too much in luck and "nothing will happen", until something happens.
The PADI web site is something confusing (at least for me) about the requirements for AOWD. At least SSI and SNSI are as mentioned. I'm doing the IDC and studied the little letters of the Standards, so, I guess that PADI shouldn't be different as the cards are equivalent.

Hi Emoreira, I think you've hit on one point, but missing another. There is no depth limit on Open Water, only a recommended limit. Therefore, there is no 'looking aside'. It is a judgement call, since it is only recommended. But, any given shop may have insurance (aka lawyers) who dictate their diving guidelines and choose to require AOW for some dives. Every shop I have been to has taken me on dives below 60 feet with only OW. I believe it is common place. Thailand, USA, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Curacao is where I have gone. Most of them also asked I have AOW (or a good log book) for some of the 80+ feet dives.

It still feels like you are thinking AOW has a lot of deep diving required. It looks like you can get AOW from any of the 3 agencies you referenced with no more than 1 and as few as zero deep dives.

As far as AOW, as follows:

PADI
5 adventure dives
deep (1-dive) required
navigation (1-dive) required
18 other adventures to choose from

SSI
Any 4 specialty courses
2 dives per course
total of 8 dives
14 specialties to choose from
none are mandatory, so you could get SSI AOW without deep