AOW necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with others that OW will not limit your diving in Coz nor in other places in the caribbean.

Wrote this in another thread a few days ago that on my last trip, an AOW diver was putting their wetsuit on backwards. That might say a whole lot more than whats actually printed on the c-card.

I think a near-consensus here is that diving ability matters more than certification. There is supposed to be (and might actually be) a connection between these. Many will say that connection is often tenuous.

Heck no it is Mexico. They will decide if you are a dufus based on diving, not cards.

That being said, AOW is a fun course if not really advanced.

As is so often true, you can just read cvchief's post to save yourself reading hundreds more words in mine.

I'm a class guy. I just like taking them, and when I was in college I could take Scuba for the large PE requirement, so kept taking courses and ended up as an Assistant Instructor. I promise you my skills when I was instructing in Lake Travis back in the early 80's 3 years after I was certified were nowhere near what my son's skills were when he was a teenager after a hundred Cozumel dives and a general disdain for classes. I think there's a stronger correlation between experience (as measured by number and variety of dives) and diving ability than with the number or names of classes one has taken.

Different agencies have different requirements and degrees of rigor. Your OW from one agency might be a lot more impressive to me than your Master Diver from another. Within one certifying agency there can be a big range of instructor ability. Some agencies pay more attention to this than others

Being current also matters a lot. I've been with divers with impressive logbooks who've been out of the water for a long time and do less well than relative beginners who've been diving fairly frequently.

Personal opinion: AOW is not needed in order to dive safely and enjoyably in Cozumel. The skills that are typically part of what's taught by most agencies for courses they call that (or the equivalent) are quite pertinent to the conditions typically encountered diving in Cozumel.

you enter the tunnel at about 90 feet and come out around 125

Well, YOU do. We go the other direction.

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. My impression is most AOW aren't much more than a couple fun dives, but the club class is supposed to be fairly rigorous, so I'd rather do that.

In Israel at least I believe they're fairly strict about following the OW recommended limits, and I was advised to take AOW to get the most out of an Eilat trip, so I'm glad to hear it won't be an issue in cozumel.

Off topic, but is metric or imperial standard for dive ops in cozumel?

Imperial units and yoke fittings are the most common in the Caribe. That is not saying you can't find metric unit equipment or DIN tank valves it's just that they are not the norm.

ea5d20a0691cace14d6c9bd946e931c1.jpg

I agree with 'Zoid and ggunn (and others). The DMs in Coz want to dive with you more than they want to see your card. They are good at evaluating skills (at least the ones at my shop are). They do it for a living and they don't want problems. That aside I enjoyed my AOW. Got it in the Keys. Got 6 dives included instead of 5 (two tank trips) and dived with a buoyancy guru. Great experience and it really didn't cost much more than the dives themselves. YMMV. Have fun.:)

is metric or imperial standard for dive ops in cozumel?

Yes, it is!

Everyone in the dive industry understands pertinent US units, but Mexico is a modern country so everyone normally uses metric units in other parts of life. That means divemasters are equally fluent in feet, psi, pounds, and Fahrenheit and in meters, bar, kilograms, and Celsius. Nearly all tanks have valves for yoke regulators, but if you have a DIN reg and don't have your own yoke adapter your op can likely supply one. If you really want DIN valves (and, honestly, why wouldn't you?) you can find them but it'll take more effort on your part.

Back
Top Bottom