AOW necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus on a liveaboard there really isn't much else to do but dive. There's plenty of other stuff to do in Coz. It's a vacation spot not necessarily a land based liveaboard. That said there are plenty of valet ops that will do afternoon trips if enough folks show an interest. If you dive with the same op enough, they may take you out even if it's just you and your dive buddy. Some of the shops will treat you like "family" once they get to know you. It's one of the things that makes Coz diving special. :)

Sounds good to me! Another question I'm sure has been asked plenty of times, but any recommendations for apres-dive activities? I'm not much of eat a ton and sleep on the beach kind of guy, so I was thinking maybe surfing?

Here's a link to a thread put together for the 2015 SB Invasion by Roxanne (one of the event planners). It might give you some ideas beyond the good food, bars, hotel/resort pools, talking diving with other divers and making friends (these things can't be overrated). I hope you have fun. :)
Things To Do In Cozumel in 2015

Sounds good to me! Another question I'm sure has been asked plenty of times, but any recommendations for apres-dive activities? I'm not much of eat a ton and sleep on the beach kind of guy, so I was thinking maybe surfing?
I rented a scooter and went to the other side of the island, I sat at one bar that I can't recall the name and watched some guys learning to surf. You can take the fairy to Playa for an evening. Other than that drinking, eating and people watching are my past times when I am there.

I've been certified since 1981 ... still OW.

I've actually been talked out of taking AOW by several instructors because of my experience.

Last edited:
I rented a scooter and went to the other side of the island, I sat at one bar that I can't recall the name and watched some guys learning to surf. You can take the fairy to Playa for an evening. Other than that drinking, eating and people watching are my past times when I am there.
Yes, there are 2 pretty good surf breaks on Coz that I know of. one at San Martin beach, where I think there is a guy who does surf lessons. and just up the road at Punta Morena. You could also visit San Gervasio ruins, that kills a good 2-3 hours. Located about 1/3 - 1/2 way down the Trans-island highway over to the East side. Indoor stuff: the museum, and I've heard the new planetarium is supposed to be pretty cool.

Two thoughts.
- If the operator takes you to do deep dives without being certified as deepdiver (part of the AOWD), I would not feel comfortable nor confident with that operator.
As a generalization that's just silly. I have been diving for over 20 years on just an OW cert, and I have been to most if not all the advanced sites around Cozumel. I have been diving with the same op for many of those years and they know my capabilities. Stack my diving skills up against those of an AOW diver with 20 dives total and I'll tell you who they'd rather take to Punta Sur.

I've been certified since 1981 ... still OW.

I've actually been talked out of taking AOW by several instructors because of my experience.

All depends on where you want to dive I guess, I've needed the certs to be able to dive some locations in the world I've wanted to dive at, but if it's not stopping you from diving someplace you want to dive why get the extra cert?

As a generalization that's just silly. I have been diving for over 20 years on just an OW cert, and I have been to most if not all the advanced sites around Cozumel. I have been diving with the same op for many of those years and they know my capabilities. Stack my diving skills up against those of an AOW diver with 20 dives total and I'll tell you who they'd rather take to Punta Sur.

Your particular situation is not common, so neither your situation can be considered as general. I guess is more common to find divers with few dives under their belt that want to dive deep.
Even more, 20 years and only OWD, good for you, not even a general situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom