Anything you don't like about BP/W rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want a small plate, halcyon or oxycheq makes them. I’m about 5’4” and my buddy is too. She is fine with a standard plate but when I tried hers on I felt it was resting on the top of my buttocks during part of my kick, and I hated that. I’m diving a vintage backpack now but If I get a BP I will want a small.

Well thanks everyone, lots of good info. Will definitely talk with my LDS and see if I can try a few options.
To be clear, I'm female and stand 5'4, is size/build, torso length an issue at all?

One of my main goals is to drop some lead, I am in pursuit of a couple of steel HP 80's so the weight info is very helpful.
(Anybody has 80's to sell please let me know:) )

I mainly dive in S FL, 2 or 5 mm suit at most, or just a rash guard. To be clear on the fit, would I need to adjust between the 5 mm suit and a t-shirt? For sure need the weight pockets in this scenario.

Thanks

At 5'4", you might be ok with using a standard length bp, but you might be more comfy in a small bp. Size/build doesn't matter at all. Even if you gain or lose substantial weight, only the harness will need adjusting. The torso length can matter. If you have a shorter torso and longer legs as many women do, at 5'4", the small would be a better fit.

You don't need to adjust the harness between the 5 mm and even a swimsuit. You would set the harness to fit comfortably with your 5 mm wetsuit, not too tight, not loose, and it should feel fine with your t-shirt. I don't adjust mine between a 2 piece 7 mm here and a 3 mm or swimsuit, and it's fine. It's easy enough to do if you want to, you just don't need to.

PROS: you know them all by now :wink:
CONS: i'm little (5'2) and needed to do some adjusting on the harness straps - this is a colossal pain in the a$$ but once done, its done. i dive in rash guard & shorts/ 3mm / 7mm. just had to make sure i left enough strap for specific adjusting depending on when im wearing.

length on the BP is no issue. i have trim pockets, one on each side, for weights, should i need them.

Thanks all, I went with a 20lb wing and SS plate.

Have a DM that will help me out, but sure I'll be tweaking it for a while.
Probably be pestering you with fit questions soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom