Anything you don't like about BP/W rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chairman

What’s the distance from your back to the tank with the Zeagle Express Tech. I thought about something a bit more flexible and comfortable for my most recent back plate and wing but I prefer the tanks real close.
The thickness of the fiber plate, so about 3/16". Once you cinch down the harness, you are one with your tank.

Best to do a try out dive or two. Either you love the streamlined feel of BP/W or you don’t. Most who dive them don’t find them particularly hard to get in to or out of. And there’s the Halcyon cinch and other glide systems that make the webbing have more “give”. As for storage, there are D rings for LED light and DSMB. Cutting device on D ring or web belt. There’s also room on the web belt for weight pockets, and even a bellows weight pocket for something small to be carried. But if you are carrying a lot more gear BP/W is probably not right for that application.

You're actually agreeing with me... that's a hybrid BP. They copied their design off of Zeagle's Express Tech. I think it's only $65 or so for this bit.

I thought I probably wasn't comparing apples to apples. BTW the OxyCheq is $51.20.

I have a HOG tropical wing that has the exhaust elbow in the top center of the wing. I believe they have discontinued this model and moved the elbow to the left shoulder on the newer versions. When your wing shopping, check the placement of the elbow. In the center, I needed a longer exhaust hose and my first stage hits it. Neither is affected by the contact, but it looks wrong.

As far as pockets go, I have weight pockets on the belt, trim pockets on the cam bands, and a cargo pocket on the waist belt too. I also have a glue on pocket on my wetsuit.

I have a BP/w as well as a Transpac. The Transpac is the rig I grab first...but I can't really say why....maybe the venture wing on the TP. I do like the pull dump and location of the exhaust valve more. It's slightly more comfortable on the surface, but both are identical while diving.

Good luck,
Jay

It took a while to get my bp/w setup to what I consider optimal, but once it was right, it was right.

In terms of the way it felt, it felt exactly the same as my women's (ex. essentially back-inflate) BCD that I had for many years previously. Everything is in the same place. It is comfortable even with just a swimsuit. I initially had padding on the bp, but I took it off except the thin back pad.

If it's hard to get into or out of, it is way too tight and not adjusted properly for you. It should just fit comfortably, not be too tight.

I have 2 XS Scuba weight pockets on each tank cam band, so 4 all-together that hold up to 4 lbs comfortably each. I have a 1.8 lb AL bp. You could have a steel bp which is usually 5 or 6 lbs if you think you need more ballast. I prefer AL because it's perfect for travelling with and I don't use much weight here either with my HP steel tank (4 lbs total).

I also like storage space. I have 2 OMS compact (weight) pockets as well as EMT shears in a sheath that slide onto my waist belt webbing. One side is held on by the waist buckle and 1 pocket is held on by a weight holder clip. I can fit the stuff that I want to take on the dive like an dSMB and spool, and wetnotes, etc., but there are other bigger pockets if you want them.

So there you have it. For me personally, there aren't any negatives. If you're used to carrying stuff and don't have drysuit pockets, it takes a little creativity. But remember, a bp/w is intended to be a minimalist approach. You take only what you think you might need.

It would probably be helpful if you're able to try out a bp/w before you buy so you can confirm what it feels like to you. Some stores might let you try one that they have or maybe someone in your local community will. Good luck and have fun with your gear-itis! :)

Well thanks everyone, lots of good info. Will definitely talk with my LDS and see if I can try a few options.
To be clear, I'm female and stand 5'4, is size/build, torso length an issue at all?

One of my main goals is to drop some lead, I am in pursuit of a couple of steel HP 80's so the weight info is very helpful.
(Anybody has 80's to sell please let me know:) )

I mainly dive in S FL, 2 or 5 mm suit at most, or just a rash guard. To be clear on the fit, would I need to adjust between the 5 mm suit and a t-shirt? For sure need the weight pockets in this scenario.

Thanks

On the other hand....

When on a bouncing boat the first sets to need resecuring/saving are the ones with integrated weights. The weight is offset and causes the set to tend to fall over. Obviously a proper job of tying it up, or removing the weights will solve this but well, people with integrated weights...

If I go on holiday I hope to have warm enough water that my belt isn’t too awful. :)

If the choices you have are (a) use integrated weights or (b) hang the whole "shitzooi" on your back a week long then I know what I would do and what most divers would do.

Integrated weights are an important feature for vacation diving.

What don't I like about BP/W setups? Wingnuts. Yes, that's right, wingnuts. And washers. And dropping same, usually having those foolish bits bounce or roll to where you can't find them. Round knurled nuts are not an improvement, in part because they roll better than wingnuts. Having them roll or bounce overboard is especially irksome. There's gotta be a better way. That said, carry some spares and life will go on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom