Anyone want to dive the Jetties Saturday afternoon 10/7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well forgive me for not being more specific in my request. The face is that I am not sure exactly where the best place to dive is. I have been following the posts by SEAYODA and his other friends and they seem to reguraly dive the jetties. My assumption was they were diving the Destin Jetties. I am simply trying to drum up interst in diving somewhere other than Vortex Saturday afternoon with other SBer's that reguraly dive these sites.

I have not had the Opportunity to dive these sites so I was looking for SBer's that were familiar with them to tag along with. I hope this helps in fielding my request. I hope to see you guys in the water this weekend.

I would be up for doing a couple of afternoon dives at Morrison and then returning to Vortex for a night dive. We will be staying at Vortex Saturday night and the hope was to dive somewhere close during the afternoon and returning for a night dive at Vortex. So shall we plan to meet at Morrison for the afternoon? Our group has a big cookout around the fire pit at Vortex when the dive classes are done so my only wish is to be back in time to partake in the festivities’ and then resume with a night dive.

aquaknott:
Well forgive me for not being more specific in my request. The face is that I am not sure exactly where the best place to dive is. I have been following the posts by SEAYODA and his other friends and they seem to reguraly dive the jetties. My assumption was they were diving the Destin Jetties. I am simply trying to drum up interst in diving somewhere other than Vortex Saturday afternoon with other SBer's that reguraly dive these sites.

I have not had the Opportunity to dive these sites so I was looking for SBer's that were familiar with them to tag along with. I hope this helps in fielding my request. I hope to see you guys in the water this weekend.
Your best bet is to get Ned Deloches Underwater Guide to Florida. Everything is summed up well there. Ive also collected a lot of info here - http://northfloridadiver.net/divesites.htm

I'll second both of JVIEHE's suggestions above. The Ned Deloach book is a "must buy". JVIEHE's also got some great local info on his site. It's well worth bookmarking.

It sounds like VMorrison is the only alternative. I'll dive it with you if you wish. What kind of diving are you interested in. Just get wet or hit 85- 90' in the cavern?

Anything new in the Deloach book. The one I use, I bought in 97, It has been glued back together several times

ScubaKris:
Anything new in the Deloach book. The one I use, I bought in 97, It has been glued back together several times

While I haven't done an "in depth" comparison of the different versions, very little has changed, especially in the panhandle. I don't think it's worth buying a new one every time a new edition comes out.

Example:. I think the only difference I saw in the new edition was the "planned" sinking of the Oriskany and rough estimate of depth at sinking site. (The boat wasn't sunk at printing time).

I think that the Speigel Grove was added in south Florida. (of course it's flipped since last printing also.).

Mine doesn't sound like it's in as bad shape as yours, but I'd prefer to keep my old one also as I've written notes in it about sites.

mike_s:
While I haven't done an "in depth" comparison of the different versions, very little has changed, especially in the panhandle. I don't think it's worth buying a new one every time a new edition comes out.

Example:. I think the only difference I saw in the new edition was the "planned" sinking of the Oriskany and rough estimate of depth at sinking site. (The boat wasn't sunk at printing time).

I think that the Speigel Grove was added in south Florida. (of course it's flipped since last printing also.).

Mine doesn't sound like it's in as bad shape as yours, but I'd prefer to keep my old one also as I've written notes in it about sites.
Thats correct. Most of the changes are removing springs from the book as the state or bottling companies take them over.

Well ScubaKris my dive will be limited to my NDL as it will be my 4 dive of a series of repetitive dives from the morning at Vortex. Although, my dives at Vortex will be to do my checkout dives for my Stress and Rescue class so it may very well be that most of my dives will be basic shallow dives and will not limit me in any afternoon endeavors. As for the cavern portion I have never dove nor am I as of yet qualified to do any cavern diving. So my dive plans are contingent upon how the morning goes, but if I can I have no problem with spending time at depth so long as I maintain the boundaries of my NDL.

Another option to increase my time would be for me to plan on diving Nitrox while at Morrison that way I can have a better safety margin and still fit in a night dive at Vortex. With all that said I would love to have you show me around Morrison I just wanted you to know the parameters I am looking at. Thanks for being willing to accompany me.

jviehe:
Youre right. I just assumed he meant the better jetties. :)

I always considered Destin's Jetties better, makes the walk worthwhile! :D

If you dive 1/3rds in the cavern at Morrison, you probably won't run anywhere close to your NDL on a single 80cu tank.

It's hard to reach the NDL if you use a computer at the springs. They are so shallow and you end up actually decomp diving and not knowing it.

Don't worry about the caverns, there fine. The only fear you have is what the classes drilled into you. Agencies that tell you not to go into over head environments at all will be taking open water checkouts into Ginnie and Vortex's cavern(s).

Nitrox?//Is tha one of those new drugs?

Just kidding,..I have been certified for 3 years, have many instructor certs from many agencies. The one cert I do not have is NITROX. Even in the 90's when I was teaching in a shop it was common for the shop to sell a NITROX specialty to the open water students as an add one, never used the stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom