Anyone using an integrated weight system with a BP & wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those babies are $136 a pair. Can one release them in an emergency with thick gloves on?

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 09:25 AM ----------

For single tank diving I use a SS plate, weighted STA, and a couple of simple XS Scuba weight pouches on the belt to have a few lbs. to ditch.

These?
XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

Do you mount them upside-down for easy ditching? If so, I am concerned that only a 2" x 2" velcro strap prevents them from opening. If I mount them right-side-up, then it's not so easy to ditch the weights in an emergency.

- Bill

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 10:00 AM ----------

I use a MAKO rubber belt with pockets on it. I water jetted some custom slides out of Lexan to keep them in place. The pockets are mounted upside down and you can easily ditch a weight or weights. Properly weighted she should only need to drop a couple/few pounds anyway. No need to ditch the entire belt. And when you switch to something like this you just need to practice and drill with it a few times to build muscle memory. NO problem with the belt under the strap.

I like the MAKO belt, too. But I have been unable to find any pockets that the belt will slide through. I can get most of the other pockets onto my harness.

- Bill

These?
XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

Do you mount them upside-down for easy ditching? If so, I am concerned that only a 2" x 2" velcro strap prevents them from opening. If I mount them right-side-up, then it's not so easy to ditch the weights in an emergency.
l

This one: WB101QR.jpg
WB101QR

I can get 7 lbs (5+2) in each without any problem.

I like the MAKO belt, too. But I have been unable to find any pockets that the belt will slide through. I can get most of the other pockets onto my harness.

I was thinking about getting a Mako rubber belt. This would be a problem. Anybody aware of other rubber belts that accept pockets better?

This one: View attachment 172716
WB101QR

I can get 7 lbs (5+2) in each without any problem.

I like these but they have only a large velcro pad to keep them closed. I experimented with mounting them upside down for easy release in an emergency, but I am not satisfied with the security. Mounting them rightside up will mean no quick release.

- Bill

I think the concern over super quick release mechanism is being overplayed. Rarely, if ever, will you encounter a situation where you need to dump weight so quickly that releasing a belt takes too long.

The question still remains, why put pockets on a belt? Why not lead threaded on the belt the old fashioned way?

Why use pockets on a weight belt?

Two reasons for me: I have about 80 lbs of soft weights, and exactly zero hard weights. And it seems that pockets would hold the weight on the "outside" of the belt and the belt would remain "circular", whereas threading a rubber belt through hard weights would seem to create points that "kink" similar to what tri-glides do to webbing, which is annoying. Not unbearable, but not ideal. I'm only speaking in the abstract as I've never actually used a weight belt...yet.

I think the concern over super quick release mechanism is being overplayed. Rarely, if ever, will you encounter a situation where you need to dump weight so quickly that releasing a belt takes too long.

The question still remains, why put pockets on a belt? Why not lead threaded on the belt the old fashioned way?

It has happened to me. OK, it was my fault in that I didn't check my gear carefully, nor did my buddy. But one time I got in the water with an inflated BC, swam out and released the air to sink. Then when I tried to inflate -- nothing. Pretty scary. Yes, you can orally inflate. But it's not that easy. Fortunately the surface waves were minimal that day.

The inflator had disconnected from the hose (it was partially connected initially, which allowed me to inflate at shore). After that experience, I decided that never again will I go in without a good buddy check (where we tug at each other's hoses), and without dumpable weight.

- Bill

So, you could breathe but not inflate? Why not just calmly reconnect the inflator hose?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 02:25 PM ----------

Plenty of people will gladly trade hard for soft weight. Second, the rubber weight belts don't kink. Third, it's kind of odd to be giving weight belt advice and never have used one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom