Anyone use this Dive Flag? 3D Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate using a flag in either current or wind. It sucks and you feel like you’re being drug around. I don’t like being connected to the surface world while I’m diving.
Wind does blow it around more than I would like, that is the least desirable condition to use it in. You can hang lead weights off the bottom or fill the center portion to limit the effect a bit. It does well in current or chop if you’re not hanging on it and pulling it down into the water. Thin line helps.
Thanks. I don't think your device would work well in Florida. I also use thin line on a reel to minimize pull. Manta Jr reel and DGX hi viz Dacron line
upload_2020-1-30_18-6-54.png
upload_2020-1-30_18-7-41.png

It is the law in Florida that divers dive with a diver down flag. The diver down buoy was added to the list of compliant devices in 2014

The law makes it no less an entanglement hazzard, nor does it prevent yahoos from using it as a slalom marker or other dipstick manoveres. It just means you have to deal with the risk of entanglement and put up with the asshats.

The law makes it no less an entanglement hazzard, nor does it prevent yahoos from using it as a slalom marker or other dipstick manoveres. It just means you have to deal with the risk of entanglement and put up with the asshats.
You overestimate the risk, perhaps from lack of experience

You overestimate the risk, perhaps from lack of experience

Nope. Lots of experience. Maybe you don't dive where I dive so know nothing about conditions or they boat/jetski drivers here.

Nope. Lots of experience. Maybe you don't dive where I dive so know nothing about conditions or they boat/jetski drivers here.
Good point, my 10 years and a bit over 1000 drift dives are mostly in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter, with a few in other places. My experience appears to be quite different than yours. Perhaps the boaters in NY and other places you've dived simply behave considerably differently.

I’m local to the shop and have seen this flag/float in person. It is big and highly visible. It does have an internal storage compartment to keep small items inside like keys etc. the shop swore it’s easy to tow but I’m on the fence. I am considering picking this up for shore dives. Here are some more pics
51C5EAC9-FD29-491C-8899-0642E08A1C32.jpeg

Attachments

• 0FE3224A-5A72-44B0-8C90-8F9EAC6CD800.jpeg
    0FE3224A-5A72-44B0-8C90-8F9EAC6CD800.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DB0CBEC2-08B1-4050-95B3-4ABD142831BE.jpeg
    DB0CBEC2-08B1-4050-95B3-4ABD142831BE.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 75
@Diver below 83
Thanks. I’m in the fence too. That’s why I’m asking. It looks amazing but was wondering about drag and wind affecting this while under water.

Someone should talk to their LDS about a trial run or a return policy

That’s what I’m thinking too.
I’m trying to get out in March to Ft Lauderdale again, and if I decide to get it, will ask for trial. That makes sense. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom