Anyone use a Garmin Descent G1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planing on using a Garmin Descent G1 on my next dive. Wondering your thoughts?

I'm not using a G1, though I strongly considered it. Instead opted for an MK2s. At the time there was a rebate on the MK2s. Between that and a discount I was able to get, the cost was pretty close to the G1 Solar.

The thread here has a pretty good discussion of it. Later pages have reports of some who have used it and recommendations.
New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

If it's anything at all like my MK2s, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Main difference would be the screen. If the monochrome screen is fine for you, then I think you'll like it. My MK2s is a backup to my Perdix AI, and apart from the AI capability, there really aren't any capability gaps between the Garmin and the Shearwater. The two track real well together, which makes sense as they use the same deco algorithm with same presets or custom GFs. The only functional difference I noticed is that the Garmin seems a lot more sensitive to depth changes than the Perdix. When comparing the profiles in Subsurface, the Garmin profile has ascent warning ⚠️, but the Shearwater profile does not. Not a big deal, and when it vibrates, I know to just slow down a bit.

Edit to add:
A couple other thoughts. When you first get the G1, go through all of the activities. You can make things a lot easier if you keep the activities that you use infrequently off of the main activity loop. You'll still be able to use them, but they'll be further down in the list. If the G1 is anything like my MK2s, you should also be able to customize the dive screens, and there are several options you can pick from.

The Garmin DCs don't allow direct wireless downloading to Subsurface, but it's really not a big deal. They download to Garmin Dive and Garmin Connect without any interaction from the wearer. And from there, can be easily exported to Subsurface, or other log software presumably.

Used my Garmin Descent G1 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It is a smartwatch with all the features with a smartwatch however, it is also a dive computer. It uploaded to the Garmin dive app to give you all the details of your dive along with dive graph and map location. As I also did the dive with my Oceanic ocs computer, the Garmin did seem a little more conservative. Anyway I am happy with my purchase and highly recommend it.

I just received mine and looking forward to using it next month. I'm still a little confused on how the buttons work - but I'm an OG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom