Anyone interested in Cozumel Feb 21-29 (+/- 4 days)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisces

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking about going to Cozumel to fit in as much diving as possible for about a week. Since I've never been to Cozumel, I thought it would be more fun to have someone to dive & check out the restaurants with.

I am somewhat flexible about the exact dates, depending on the availability of airfare/rooms/packages. As far as I can tell right now, the cheapest package through Continental from San Francisco: ~$1400 for airfare + 7 nights at the Casa Mexicana. I am open to ideas & suggestions for other ways of doing this inexpensively.

Thanks!

I just figured out that Cozumel Carnaval is Feb 18 -25. I'm don't want to deal w/the crowds and mayhem....

The search for a tropical dive trip for my birthday continues.... :frown2:

pisces:
I just figured out that Cozumel Carnaval is Feb 18 -25. I'm don't want to deal w/the crowds and mayhem....

The search for a tropical dive trip for my birthday continues.... :frown2:

Bummer. The Carnival sounds like quite the party! I'll be there during that week for my first time in Coz. My LDS has an annual group that goes down there and I riding along with 30+ divers. Dive Paradise will be our operator.

Not sure where we're staying. I heard they've changed the name of the resort several times.

Steve

Scuba_Signer:
Bummer. The Carnival sounds like quite the party! I'll be there during that week for my first time in Coz. My LDS has an annual group that goes down there and I riding along with 30+ divers. Dive Paradise will be our operator.

Not sure where we're staying. I heard they've changed the name of the resort several times.

Steve

Hey Steve!

Thanks for your reply!

Have others in your group been down there for Carnaval before? Did they say it was crowded & wild? I'm assuming that it will be.... I was hoping for a quiet, relaxing, tropical getaway with as much diving as possible and hopefully lots of nudibrachs and maybe a few sea horses here and there....

Usually I just do liveaboards because it's more cost-effecient & convenient for me, but I thought I'd give Cozumel a try since people rave about it so much. Seems like my timing is just a little off....

Have a great time!!!

I think everyone in our group has been there before (I'm the newbie). Some are even from other parts of the U.S. and Canada! Those folks met my local group on previous trips and elected to get together again. They picked this week because of the Carnival. It's like an after-dive party as well as something for the non-divers. I'd think of it as a little something extra that you can't get from a liveaboard - culture. They did tell me they prefer the Carnival over "Spring Break".

I bet I got spoiled by going on the AquaCat liveaboard for my first OW last October. Hauling my gear to the boat everyday better be worth it in Coz, but I've been told it is!

Have a happy birthday, no matter where you are!

Steve

Scuba_Signer:
Hauling my gear to the boat everyday better be worth it in Coz, but I've been told it is!

Steve

Steve,

Thats what a good DM is for!

Scuba_Signer:
I think everyone in our group has been there before (I'm the newbie). Some are even from other parts of the U.S. and Canada! Those folks met my local group on previous trips and elected to get together again. They picked this week because of the Carnival. It's like an after-dive :azvatar: party as well as something for the non-divers. I'd think of it as a little something extra that you can't get from a liveaboard - culture. They did tell me they prefer the Carnival over "Spring Break".

I bet I got spoiled by going on the AquaCat liveaboard for my first OW last October. Hauling my gear to the boat everyday better be worth it in Coz, but I've been told it is!

Have a happy birthday, no matter where you are!

Steve

Why would you need an "after-dive party" and "culture"....? When there's diving to be done, what else do you need...? Isn't everything else just a surface interval to get ready for the next dive?!

Yeah, if you started w/the AquaCat liveaboard, it's gonna be a bit of an adjustment.... although, actually, with my last land-based op (in Fiji), they were really great. They carried our gear to the boat, and they were even willing to wash our gear. The main downside was not being able to do 5 dives a day....

(I think I'm going to have to move my birthday to a more convenient time....)

Scuba_Signer:

Steve

Steve, I was just there in January. The hotel is Hotel Cozumel (used to be called Brisas, and some other names beforehand). It's a decent hotel for Cozumel, food's not bad. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to town.

warren_l:
Steve, I was just there in January. The hotel is Hotel Cozumel (used to be called Brisas, and some other names beforehand). It's a decent hotel for Cozumel, food's not bad. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to town.

<makes note: "...Surface Interval"> Got it! :)

Brisas is the name my LDS used. A search on that matched photos with reefscape and hotel cozumel on other travel agency web pages. The only direct URL I found of this place is http://www.reefscape.us and apparently it's out-dated too.

Thanks for verifying!

Steve

Yeah, I guess with all the changes their websites keep changing too. Here is the latest working link for the hotel: http://www.hotelcozumel.us/

They used to have a webcam pointed at the beach, but I couldn't get it to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom