Anyone interested in Cozumel Feb 21-29 (+/- 4 days)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Signer:
<makes note: "...Surface Interval"> Got it! :)

Brisas is the name my LDS used. A search on that matched photos with reefscape and hotel cozumel on other travel agency web pages. The only direct URL I found of this place is http://www.reefscape.us and apparently it's out-dated too.

Thanks for verifying!

Steve

Hey Steve!

Well, afterwards, you should post your impressions about your trip (e.g., diving, lodging, Carnaval, and "culture")! As for me, after 4-5 days of non-stop research, I've decided to instead start saving my pennies for my next trip to, hopefully, very distant (warm) waters....

ENJOY!!

pisces:
Hey Steve!

Well, afterwards, you should post your impressions about your trip (e.g., diving, lodging, Carnaval, and "culture")! As for me, after 4-5 days of non-stop research, I've decided to instead start saving my pennies for my next trip to, hopefully, very distant (warm) waters....

ENJOY!!

Deal!

Hey Pisces,

If you stay South Island you will definately feel that you are away on a tropical paradise and won't feel the Carnival at all. I was there for that week, stayed at the Presidente, and felt removed from it all. Check out the hotel. It's the best on the island. You feel like you've arrived in paradise the moment you check in.............................

Jason

Depth Gauge:
Hey Pisces,

If you stay South Island you will definately feel that you are away on a tropical paradise and won't feel the Carnival at all. I was there for that week, stayed at the Presidente, and felt removed from it all. Check out the hotel. It's the best on the island. You feel like you've arrived in paradise the moment you check in.............................

Jason

Hey Jason,

Thanks for your reply!

I checked out the Presidente website. It looks very nice! Rated as a 4 star facility. Unfortunately, right now, it looks like I'd have to find a no star facility :) . Airfare plus 7 nights in the Presidente is currently more than $2400 for a Gardenview room.... (the single supplement is quite hefty.)

I'll have to wait a little longer before I can visit paradise again!

Hey Pisces,

Hello from a fellow SF'er.

Regarding Coz during Carnival, I haven't been there at that time, but I think it'd be reasonably easy to avoid the mayhem if you stay at one of the inexpensive hotels on the north side of town (Flamingo or Hacienda San Miguel). These two are only a few blocks from the main square, but are way off the beaten path. Most of the partying goes on at the big disco places, Senor Frogs and their ilk, which are on the south end of town and easy to avoid. I suppose the restaurants could be more crowded though, which would be a hassle. Casa Mexicana is on the main ocean frontage road which carries heavy heavy foot traffic when the cruise ships are in town, and is pretty close to the partying action.

BTW, it's cheaper to fly to Cancun and bus/ferry it to Coz; saves you a couple hundred bucks and costs you at minimum two extra hrs travel time.

-Simon

simonk999:
Hey Pisces,

Regarding Coz during Carnival, I haven't been there at that time, but I think it'd be reasonably easy to avoid the mayhem if you stay at one of the inexpensive hotels on the north side of town (Flamingo or Hacienda San Miguel). These two are only a few blocks from the main square, but are way off the beaten path. Most of the partying goes on at the big disco places, Senor Frogs and their ilk, which are on the south end of town and easy to avoid. I suppose the restaurants could be more crowded though, which would be a hassle. Casa Mexicana is on the main ocean frontage road which carries heavy heavy foot traffic when the cruise ships are in town, and is pretty close to the partying action.

BTW, it's cheaper to fly to Cancun and bus/ferry it to Coz; saves you a couple hundred bucks and costs you at minimum two extra hrs travel time.

-Simon

Hi Simon!

Thanks for your reply! I was wondering what people from the west coast do when they want to go to Mexico, the Caribbean, or the Bahamas....

I am new to the West Coast. Initially, I thought that it would make diving more convenient for me because I would be closer to the south pacific, SE Asia, etc. (all those places that I've been dying to get to). But then it hit me when I was trying to schedule this last minute trip that I am at a minimum 8 hours away from warm waters. While places like Mexico & the Caribbean are less expensive (than places like Hawaii) once you get there, it's really a long & expensive trip from SF! Flights are more frequent and cheaper from the East Coast and more specials. And of course it's still a 2 day trip to places like Palau, PNG, SE Asia. Grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

I looked at flying into Cancun. It seems like right now, the cheapest way to go is to get an airfare/hotel package to Cozumel. But then the single supplement is at least 40%! OUCH!!! The inexpensive hotels that divers seems to like (e.g., Hacienda or some of the bed & breakfast places) are small and booked up for most of the peak season.

Where do you go to get your warm water fix? Divers around here seem to really really like Montery, but I'd have to do a drysuit, which I'm not certified for.... and I have a hard time getting excited about 50 ft visibility in 50 F waters, although I'm sure the sea life is quite unique and beautiful.... I know that I should do it at least once. Maybe in the summer when at least the air temps are higher....

simonk999:
Hey Pisces,

-Simon

If he is a diver, then I would advise escaping the crowd by staying south of town rather than north; the dive boats are often reticent to go north of the International Pier (where the ferry lands - I don't know why they call it international) to pick up divers. Villablanca and Caribe Blu are a couple of moderately priced hotels south enough to escape the crowd.

Also, though I have never flown to Cozumel or Cancun from the Bay Area, I know from many years of traveling to CZM and (when I had to) to CUN that the price of a ticket into either place varies widely. Check them both out; the fare into Cancun is sometimes not cheaper.

Pices,

Before you decide to come down for diving during carnaval, I HIGHLY recommend checking with dive ops to see what is available. Most of the better shops are booked and have waiitng lists. I added two boats and have been booked since early December. You may have more luck as a single diver however. Have fun and happy birthday wherever you end up!

Christi:
Pices,

Before you decide to come down for diving during carnaval, I HIGHLY recommend checking with dive ops to see what is available. Most of the better shops are booked and have waiitng lists. I added two boats and have been booked since early December. You may have more luck as a single diver however. Have fun and happy birthday wherever you end up!

Hi Christi!

Yeah, with it being peak season and Carnaval, the rates for everything are really high and availability seems iffy.... Plus, crowds & Carnaval are not what I'm looking for.... So, I'm going to hold off on going there....

Thanks!

Indeed, ggunn makes a good point about it being inconvenient to catch a dive boat if you stay in the north end of town. Flamingo and Hacienda are a fair walk from the international pier, esp if carrying gear, though most outfits'll store them for you. A good alternative is to take a taxi. It's a quick trip down to Caribe Blu or elsewhere south. Personally, I liked staying in town and doing the taxi thing (actually, for me, the taxi was part of the diving pkg price. Taxi drove to the operator's house in southern San Miguel; from there, we drove to the pier nearby El Presidente).

Anyway, slightly off subject in reply to Pisces, in regards to warm water escapes from SF: it *is* a long plane ride to most anywhere warm. I have heard that things are decent in Loreto, Baja (need to hop to LA, then Aerocalifornia to Loreto) and I've been thinking of going there. There's Los Cabos, too. Otherwise, the Caribbean, the Keys, Hawaii, Asia, are all long trips (and while Asia is closer than if you're on the East coast, anything longer than 5 hrs is too darn long, so the difference between an East coast departure vs West coast isn't all that much when it's a question of a sore butt from sitting too long).

As for Monterey, I am a warm water weenie, so only occasionally do Monterey. I don't do the drysuit thing either, and use a 7mm + a 7mm sleeveless hooded shortie combo. Lots of neoprene and lead, that's for sure! The kelp is definitely cool though, esp if it's clear (relatively speaking), and there is the slightly warmer alternative of southern california diving.

-Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom