Anyone here diving after suffering a collapsed lung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I posted this in the diving medicine forum, but thought I may get a broader cross reference of readers/responders by posting over in this forum.

Brief recap:

I recently suffered an accident in which I crashed my bicycle. Besides breaking my collar bone and tearing my AC joint, I also broke 5 ribs, one of which punctured my lung and collapsed it to 80%.

I'm 8 weeks past the initial injury and my lung has regained full volume to 100% and my body absorbed the 20%.

I have been in contact with DAN and briefly discussed this with them. They provided me with the following medical diagnosis taken from “Diving Medicine” by Alfred Bove (with notes added by me). In it he states the following regarding my injury:

“ Traumatic pneumothoraces caused by isolated injury to the chest wall should not pose any risk to the diver (so far so good, right?); however (uh-oh, I hate “howevers” in medical journals), most traumatic pneumothoraces are associated with underlying lung injury as well (mine was obviously – the 5 broken ribs). If the injury was severe enough to lead to radiographic changes (mine was – broken ribs and partially collapsed lung), it could have led to areas of air trapping (it did, about 20%, which has been slowly absorbed by the body and my lung is once again theoretically inflated to 100%). As a result, many authorities think that such persons should be advised not to dive (oh ****), although extensive diagnostic and hyperbaric chamber testing might define those at greatest risk.”

Let’s cut to the chase. It basically says the following: You should be able to dive again, but many authorities say you shouldn’t.

Hrmmm, OK…. OK? Talk about sitting on the fence with a medical diagnosis, eh?

My understanding is that at the 6 month mark I should submit myself to a spiral CT scan which will yield a much more detailed image of the injury than a traditional CT scan does. I'm told that not all lung injuries or lacerations heal, so this is of major concern to make sure mine actually healed. Next concern would be the amount of scar tissue from the healed laceration. Finally, if the spiral CT scan looks good, I should submit myself to a series of hyperbaric chamber rides to see how my lung reacts to the pressure.

So, I guess my question is, has anybody been through this before and can offer me some heads up on whats to come? Maybe offer me a ray of hope that my diving life has not prematurely ended. Or perhaps offer more insight or a different view point on the medical diagnosis of things?

TIA

I'm not trying to be a pinch-face about this, but I believe there are other accounts here on SB about a situation similar to yours. Perhaps more information will turn up if you do a search. On the other hand, the search function here really sucks. :)

I would say that this post is likely misplaced and that you really should rely more on the information you get in the diving medicione section because there are a few doctors that reply there. You may still not get the 100% "Go out and dive" you may want, but at least it will be from "medical professionals" (in some cases) rather than a bunch of new divers with an opinion :D.

Most definitely not an expert, but I always thought that if a pneumothorax was caused by a traumatic event as opposed to a spontaneous pneumo (aka...just appearing out of nowhere without a causative injury), then assuming everything heals up OK, one should be good to dive again.

The best thing you could do is recontact DAN and ask for a referral to a diving medicine physician in your area...they are the only ones really qualified to decide whether you're healed up enough to dive again. The average physician doesn't really know all that much about acute diving injuries, much less whether you'd be able to dive again after a traumatic pneumothorax, and I'd hate to see you go through all the expense of hyperbaric chamber rides if it's unnecessary.

In summation, your best move would to see a physician that specializes in diving medicine...

Hope this helps,
Rita

I guess my intentions for the thread were not clear.

Yes, I am working closely with DAN and have recieved referrals for medical experts in the field. I'm aware of my risks, and I'm not seeking medical advice on scuba board nor someone to give me the go ahead to dive.

I'm looking for people that have already been through what I have ahead of me and their experiences (spiral CT scan, hyperbaric rides for medical eval of lung, and continued (or lack of) diving experiences).

Thanks

My son had a pneumothorax (punctured lung) as an infant and has zero problems diving. If it has healed and you are not having breathing issues, I can't see how it would be an issue. I'm not a doc though so take with a grain of salt.

I'd recommend that you give up on bicycle riding and concentrate on diving.

When I healed properly the chamber was the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom