Anyone ever drive to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad this came up, I was thinking the same thing. Considering a drive n dive trip. If I do it, the big question is which rig to take? F350 4X4crewcab flatbed or Jeep UL Rubicon. More toys on the truck, more off road fun with the jeep, MPG is, get this, exactly the same! The truck weighs more than twice what the Jeep does. Go figure. So whats the camping situatinon on the mainland? Tent with the Jeep Camper with the truck.

RadRob:
Anyone ever drive to Cozumel or Cabo San Lucas for diving? Ever drive to anywhere in Mexico for that matter?

I have a neighbor that drives to Loreto every year with his boat to fish. Get a copy of the Baja Catch if you are remotely interested in road tripping through Baja.

The road to Cozumel is a bit rough, occasionally its flooded and you may get stuck if you hit the deep spot.:wink:

I don't have the info saved anymore, but last year I looked into driving from Texas down to Tampico. One thing I do not see mentioned in this topic so far which I found in my reading is that if you bring in a car into Mexico, you have to pay a deposit on it, as a guarantee you are going to bring it back.

Oh, I just googled it for you and found the info again...
http://www.mexonline.com/drivemex.htm

Step Three: Pay the certificate fee and bond deposit

Pay the certificate fee (not returnable). At the border, your international credit card will be charged an amount in national currency equivalent to US$27.00 to the Banco Nacional del Ejercito.

Pay the "guarantee return of the vehicle to USA territory" bond via credit card, according to the schedule below.

Model Year Bond Amount
1999 to present US $400
From 1994 to 1998 US $300
Models older than 1994 US $200

You'll be issued your documents, which completes the process for acquiring the certificate. Keep in mind the full process is not completed until you return the certificate upon heading back into the United States, see below.

Is the bond requirement new? I used to drive into Juarez from El Paso and from McAllen to Nuevo Laredo (along with several other crossings). I never went any farther than just across the border. Could this be why I wasn't questioned? How would they know if I went farther?

RadRob:
Is the bond requirement new? I used to drive into Juarez from El Paso and from McAllen to Nuevo Laredo (along with several other crossings). I never went any farther than just across the border. Could this be why I wasn't questioned? How would they know if I went farther?

I don't remember exactly, but I do believe there was a mileage cutoff, because I considered going to a border town instead.

edited to add: I don't know how they would know, except that you'd have foreign license plates, and if you got stopped for something, they would check. I wouldn't want to get caught breaking any laws in a foreign country!

edited again to add from that website i linked above:

If your travel is within the Border Zone (usually up to 20 kilometers south of the U.S.-Mexico Border) or the Free Trade Zone (including the Baja California Peninsula and the Sonora Free Trade Zone) there are no procedures to comply with. However, if you wish to pass these zones, the following procedures will apply. You must secure a permit by following the next few steps.

I always carry a carton of Camel non filter cigarettes on the dash or in my suitcase when traveling in Mexico for my "special" friends at airports and roadblocks. A big smile and hearty "oh, do you smoke?" (they all do) when the see the carton has always speeded up any transactions. (beware if you are an ex-smoker and in a stressful situation).

Also have all paperwork in order! (it's not that hard folks)

The toll roads are awsome in Mexico.

Dflybldr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom