Anyone ever drive to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RadRob

Contributor
Reaction score
...Cozumel or Cabo San Lucas for diving? Ever drive to anywhere in Mexico for that matter?

I have some friends who bring vehicles through Mexico to Belize purchased in the US. They take the route you're proposing pretty much. They say, as in any foreign country, have all your paperwork for ownership of your car in order, proper license, insurance etc...and some pocket money for "donations" to local authorities who aren't really sure of the laws but are happy to make some up and there's nothing you can do about it but...."donate". But all in all it's not hard.

I have driven several times through Mexico to Belize, by way of the Yucatan. Interesting and fun trip, would repeat Hank49's advice about having all paperwork in order. In lieu of pocket money for donations, we always carried old issues of Playboy magazine, left out conspicuously in the open. They are always "confiscated" and we move right along...

About this time every year, we see a lot of RV's and 5th wheel trailers coming through PV south, from Canada. I don't think I would like to drive that far but lots do. You do have to be careful where you come into Mexico and it's best to travel during the day.

RadRob:
...Cozumel or Cabo San Lucas for diving? Ever drive to anywhere in Mexico for that matter?

We drove to Chichenitza in 1972. (I think)

Things were different down there back then.

You'd have to be certifiable plus nukkinphutz to do it now.

I've rented cars in the Los Cabos area. No biggie, don't drive after dark & watch for drunk drivers & livestock at dusk.

According to the travel books, the road from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas is pretty decent in the daytime. There are spots where gas stations (Pemex, it's a gov't monopoly) are few & far between.

OTOH, driving from Arizona to San Carlos is supposed to be smooth sailing.

Be sure to get auto insurance for Mexico!

I've driven from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. It was a blast but I'll never do it again :)
A few notes (some duplicates)
  1. You must have Mexican insurance as noted above. In Mexico you are guilty until proven innocent.
  2. You must get a visa to travel to Cabo San Lucas. They're ~ $20 at the US/Mexico border. You won't be asked for them on the way down. You will be asked for them on the way up. I imagine it costs more than $20 to fix the situation if you don't have one. You will be asked for papers at Guerro Negro.
  3. Get a recent map that has PEMEX (gas) stations listed and approximate distances between them. Knowing the average highway mileage of your vehicle will come in handy here. While there are lots of PEMEX stations, some are kind of sketchy and some are quite nice.
  4. Drive during the day only. By the time the sun starts setting the road is the warmest surface available and all sorts of critters come out to sleep on it.
  5. Don't know what kind of vehicle you'll be taking. If it's a "normal" car (not an RV) then, if possible, find some California plates to follow. Lots of people make the trip up and down the 1 and know it well. There are several sections where you can (if you want) top out at 90 MPH. Having a "rabbit" to chase makes it a lot easier :14:
  6. Get pesos ahead of time. You will get varying dollar:peso ratios on your trip down. Having pesos ahead of time makes life eeeeasy.
  7. Take pictures! The desert is truly unique (IMO) and there are some very interesting rock formations.
  8. Don't mind the military check points. They'll ask where you're from and where you're going. I always have a hard time remember which is which in Spanish, so you may want to check ahead of time. These are just a bunch of bored kids -- be nice to 'em and you'll make some friends and move along quickly. Be a pill and they may search e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g you have.

Oh, and a bit of trivia:

vado = ford, if it rains there will be a river here
tope = speed bump. While they may have been yellow at one point, some have worn down to be black and nearly invisible. I completed my translation while crossing a tope at roughly 60 MPH. My car survived, my pants did not.

Really, it's a lot of fun. Have a blast!

Last May I Drove From Goodyear Az. To San Felepi Mx. Good Roads From Mexicali To San Felepi. Yes. Get The Extortion@#53 I Mean Auto Insurance. Better Safe Than Sorry The Boys In Green Stopped Me And Surched My Jeep For A Short While Then Just Like That I Was Told I Could Leave. Made Me A Little Nervis. The Diving Was Good Went Down South Past Pt. Las Angles. Speared A Hole Boat Load Of Good Eating Fish. Looking To Go Back This Year And Go Thru San Diego Down To Ensenada And Cross Over The Mtns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom