Anyone ever Dove Rifle Gap State Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In my quest for finding places that may be worth diving in CO, I have come across several references to Rifle Gap State Park.

The Res is a 6000' (so not real high), and many descriptions say it's a favorite place for diver do to the good Vis.

However I'll be damned if I can find ANY information provided about the actual diving at this place. No reference to depths, what is down there, water temps... basically nothing.

So anyone ever dove this place? I'm thinking that we may just have to go camping here, and dive it. It's seems to be maybe 3 1/2 hours outside of Denver.

Name/Location: Harvey Gap State Park
City/State: Rifle, CO
Phone: (970) 625-1607
E-mail: rifle@csn.net
Description: Reservoir
Max. Depth: 30'
Visibility: 10'
Water Temperature: 8/25/05 74F
Access: Beach/shore
Facilities: restrooms
Dive Shop(s): ?
Fee(s): $4.00/day per vehicle (Annual passes: $40/year)

I have never dove there, but this is what I could find.

RonFrank:
In my quest for finding places that may be worth diving in CO, I have come across several references to Rifle Gap State Park.

The Res is a 6000' (so not real high), and many descriptions say it's a favorite place for diver do to the good Vis.

However I'll be damned if I can find ANY information provided about the actual diving at this place. No reference to depths, what is down there, water temps... basically nothing.

So anyone ever dove this place? I'm thinking that we may just have to go camping here, and dive it. It's seems to be maybe 3 1/2 hours outside of Denver.

I have fished there a few times. Back then I was not into scuba, so I can't tell you much. The last several times the lake was way, way down. Maybe, it is up now. There is camping there, pit style toilets, If I remember correctly. I had a motorhome then, so I did not pay much attention to what they had. Now that I am back to tent camping, I will be paying much more attention. It is generally warmer there then here (Denver).

bikefox:
Name/Location: Harvey Gap State Park
City/State: Rifle, CO
Phone: (970) 625-1607
E-mail: rifle@csn.net
Description: Reservoir
Max. Depth: 30'
Visibility: 10'
Water Temperature: 8/25/05 74F
Access: Beach/shore
Facilities: restrooms
Dive Shop(s): ?
Fee(s): $4.00/day per vehicle (Annual passes: $40/year)

I have never dove there, but this is what I could find.

I can get that at Aurora without a four hour drive. After seeing all the references to this place as being popular with divers due to the vis, I was expecting a bit more than 10' :06:

There's a pretty good golf course at Rifle, so it might not be totally without its charms.

There's a dive shop in Grand Junction for air fills. Its on the way to Flaming Gorge if your still thinking about that. Also, did you notice the water temp? 74 degrees.
How about Granby..Grand Lake?

Divedoggie:
There's a dive shop in Grand Junction for air fills. Its on the way to Flaming Gorge if your still thinking about that. Also, did you notice the water temp? 74 degrees.
How about Granby..Grand Lake?

Did you ever get any responses to diving Granby or Grand Lake? My wife and I were counting on going away for the weekend 8/12/06 (Blue Mesa) but since that has been postponed, I was wondering if anyone had dove Ganby or Grand Lake. Just looking for possibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom