Anyone dived at a site with no land visible in all directions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ive always wondered what it would be like to dive far enough offshore where you cannot see any land?

Has anyone dived in the Pacific? There’s a remote location called Marshall Islands, Bikini Atoll. Various radioactive shipwrecks and very expensive trip to get there. Would it be worth the hike?
Yep here in Ireland every year when diving some of the deeper classic wrecks off Malin Head, Donegal you are between 30-40 miles off shore. What I find most surprising is how strong the tides are that far off shore.

ive always wondered what it would be like to dive far enough offshore where you cannot see any land?

Has anyone dived in the Pacific? There’s a remote location called Marshall Islands, Bikini Atoll. Various radioactive shipwrecks and very expensive trip to get there. Would it be worth the hike?

Yes.

There is nothing more solemn and sobering than respectfully visiting the gravesite of historical warships sunk-in-action, and reflecting on the heroic sacrifice of crews that went down with them.

Many of them are in waters too deep for tech divers. My favourite is at 4791m deep.. I find this video painfully sad though.

Many of them are in waters too deep for tech divers. My favourite is at 4791m deep.. .
Not all too deep for diving. . .

My two favorites were only 30msw deep, in poor to fair visibility and within sight of land (Java and Sumatra) -but unfortunately so shallow and close to civilization that they are now illegally being ripped apart and salvaged, and despite being hallowed naval gravesites, probably desecrated as well.

An inspiring wreck for me is one that tells an epic story:
Battle of Sunda Strait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Captain Albert Rooks USS Houston
Captain Hector Waller HMAS Perth

Great and sobering WWII histories about the last stand of these two doomed warships, HMAS Perth and the USS Houston, the last of the ill-fated & short-lived ABDA (American-British-Dutch-Australian) Fleet. The survivors were taken as POW's by the Japanese to work on the most infamous civil engineering project in history --The Thailand-Burma Railway. . .

The allure and fun of wreck diving is not just merely researching the history for academic sake, but actually diving down yourself and vicariously reliving the history as you would imagine how it might've actually happened. . .

Been far enough off shore to see no land plenty of times. As has been said, you don't have to be the middle of the ocean! I've been on the Great Lakes far enough off shore where land was not visible. Many of the wrecks off Key Largo are beyond the sight of land given that there is nothing very tall on Key Largo. This past Sat I was diving 35 miles off of Naples FL. Certainly no land in sight that far out!

I've gone hunting 20 miles offshore. Lots of fish and lobster off of Port Canaveral on the 20 mile reef.

There are some pinnacles located well offshore that come up to within diveable range ... sometimes tech diving range, but still quite OK..

As has been mentioned, a lot of the wrecks in the Great Lakes are far enough offshore to have no visible land anywhere on the horizon.

There's also a famous dive in Hawaii where they take you out at night and drop you off on a line in very deep water, to give you a different experience. I've not done it, but my friends who have said it was quite thrilling ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom