Anyone dive a frog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ribbit...
It looks like you can build it into a regular CCR.
Ribbit...
For $3000 you basically get a fixed Fo2 nitrox tank that goes...and goes...and goes
Ribbit...
No partial pressure blending
Ribbit...
If you start breathing harder Po2 should drop, which is good.
(oxygen is metered at a fixed rate and set at the surface)
Ribbit...
Can utilize old Nitrox computers more effictively

I think I'm turning green!

All constructive feedback acknowledged.

Hi Joe,

exactly what are you asking? You have me pretty confused.
You mention CCR and nitrox, nitrox computer and fO2? :06:

No partial pressure blending
You can get nitrox with filters, as Dynax or NRC units do.
Is that what you're refrring to?

If you start breathing harder Po2 should drop, which is good.
(oxygen is metered at a fixed rate and set at the surface)
Actually many, if not most people consider that a downside of cmf-systems.
Either you adjust the flow rate high and waste a lot of gas or you adjust it low and risk hypoxia. The Frog doesn't come standard with an O2 monitor, something highly recommended with cmf rebreathers. And unlike the cmf CCRs, it doesn't allow for manual gas addition.

Can utilize old Nitrox computers more effictively
How so? In SC or CC mode?

I think I'm turning green!
Am not sure why that is, but it's probably a lot better than turning blue from lack of oxygen. :wink:

If recommended partial pressure o2 are 1.6 at rest (decompressing) and 1.4 during the working part of your dive. Then you plan a dive and set the o2 feed rate to provide you a 1.4 partial pressure at your normal breathing rate, and your body uses more o2 because the dive becomes more physically challenging, would not your PP o2 drop? I doubt if it would drop from the 1.4 pp o2 planned to LESS than .21 pp o2 which we breathe every day. This I think is locical because lowering the Partial Pressure is what you are supposed to do when you go from seditentary to more active dive modes.

This is the discussion I wanted to get going to judge if I'm on the right track.

ComputerJoe:
... you plan a dive and set the o2 feed rate to provide you a 1.4 partial pressure at your normal breathing rate ...
You plan the depth of your dive, and choose a nitrox mix which at that depth will give you the desired pO2.
You then choose the flow rate based on the mix you're using.
On a semi-closed circuit rebreather that rate is greater than the amount of gas you metabolize, so the counterlung(s) slowly get filled until the overpressure relieve valve activates. The excess gas gets dispelled, hence semi-closed circuit.

... your body uses more o2 because the dive becomes more physically challenging, would not your PP o2 drop? I doubt if it would drop from the 1.4 pp o2 planned to LESS than .21 pp o2
How much O2 you metabolize depends on a variety of factors, but basically you're correct. As you exert yourself, you'll use up more O2. How much more varies. However you need to remember that the pO2 depends not just on the amount of O2 in the loop, but on the ambient pressure. Since you're talking about a nitrox mix (fO2), the pO2 will drop with decreased depth.
Say you plan a dive with Nitrox32, the pO2 at the surface is .32, at 10m it'll be .64, at 20m it'll be .96 etc. Now that's the supply gas in the tank, it'll always be a bit less in the loop. If you hit a stong current at 10-15m, your pO2 can drop to dangerous levels.

Every manual and text book I've read warns about the increased risks of shallow depth or surface swimming on rebreathers. There have been plenty of hypoxia accidents in less than 10m of depth, even fatalities.

This I think is locical because lowering the Partial Pressure is what you are supposed to do when you go from seditentary to more active dive modes.
While this is what happens, I don't understand why you're supposed to do it, or would want to.

The more you breath, the more gas goes into and through your body.
As O2 and N2 are the only major two gases (let's hope you're not overbreathing your scrubber and there is no CO2 in the loop), when the amount of O2 drops the amount of N2 rises, lowering your NDLs. Remeber you're calculating fO2 for NDL/deco calculations. The SCR doesn't replenish the loop with O2 like a CCR does, it replenishes with the premixed gas.

Ron Micjan wrote an excellent article explaining partial pressure. I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom