Anyone distinguish between their 'sacrificial gear' vs their 'nice' gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not uncommon for divers to leave behind assorted gear items, especially 'consumables' like batteries, for the locals. Depending on where you're diving, older, but perfectly functional gear left behind is greatly appreciated. Places that are very remote, isolated, and economically depressed are the most appreciative of one's surplus gear/consumables. Also, those locations with high import taxes/tariffs are also appreciative of free left over gear/consumables. I'm not sure Mexico is THAT hard up but I guess that depends on the specifics. I'd be careful to still tip cash as your old gear may be pretty worthless in money terms so it could backfire on you if you don't take that into account.
It wasn't clear in my previous post, but the "tipped" gear would be what I will dive with while there. It might not be worth much, but it would be as good or better than what I see some of the DM's using. I do agree that cash is king.

It wasn't clear in my previous post, but the "tipped" gear would be what I will dive with while there. It might not be worth much, but it would be as good or better than what I see some of the DM's using. I do agree that cash is king.

Agreed, I'm sure many DM's would appreciate the gear, I too have seen them using some well-worn, iffy stuff that could stand replacing.

I have spares. I also have disposable or sacrificial gear. I also have good gear and then my best gear. I am afforded this luxury due to my long involvement in the sport and that I am somewhat of a hoarder. Like running shoes, when I find one that works, I tend to buy several for spares. In fact, I buy spares of many things and unfortunately this bad habit includes diving and SCUBA equipment. I rarely purchase but one of anything. If I like it I probably have a spare, especially if I perceive it as not easily replaced.

For example, despite having two VDH Argonaut Krakens, I would never use either of my irreplaceable Krakens for kayak diving where a high likelihood of loss is inherent, I instead use one of my multiple sets of Conshelf single hose regulators. Am I spoiled, yes. Am I high maintenance, yes. I could not imagine having only one set of gear much less always using the exact same configuration.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom