Anyone distinguish between their 'sacrificial gear' vs their 'nice' gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive my conshelf 14 supreme's every where.. Fresh water , salt water, warm or cold.. Boat or shore... I don't dive anywhere that others can touch my or the wives kit... I am "ANAL" about taking care of my stuff... My regulators look like new and people can't believe that they are that old and have 100's of dives on them.. So no.. I don't have gear I don't care about...

Jim...

"gear I don't care about..." is perhaps overstating things, but more expendable IF something unfortunate were to happen, so I can continue to enjoy my trip / vacation and not loose sleep over a gear 'incident'.

OK, so a few weeks ago I picked up a Great deal on a used Oceanic GT 3/CDX 5 (with DVT 1st stage) reg set, included a classic Omega II octo (black) and BCD hose....the set is essentially mint condition, can't really tell it's even been dove. I'm refreshing some LP hose O-rings and swapping hose locations around a bit right now, which got me to thinking about this subject. My plan is to use this set as a 'beater/loaner' set where I won't have a heart attack if the boat crew slaps it around or drags it across the deck, etc. (or if it gets stolen/lost in transit to the dive destination.) I've also got an old (but still very nice shape Zeagle Ranger that's around 15 yrs old) that is 'retired' from my main fleet but something I'd likely use under 'combat' conditions (like Bonaire shore diving) where it's expected gear will be dragged/thrown and generally abused.

Does anyone segregate their gear like this ? I've got some uber nice dive toys I'd use on a liveaboard situation, where I'm the only one touching my gear, and theft or 'sand /rock dragging abuse' isn't going to be an issue, but in a situation where I might have less control over dive crew or local conditions I've got 'sacrifice' gear.

The original 32 " BC inflator hose looks fine, but was too long so I just swapped it out for a new 24 " inflator hose instead. ...and installed a universal Atomic swivel hose on the primary 2nd-stage.

You Sir have a shopping problem...

Not saying that is a bad thing...

I guess I segregate, I have 3 complete rigs for three different occasions, the only constants are computer and mask. Although I was thinking about buying a travel specific computer just because. It would appear I too have a shopping problem, although it's been somewhat cured by the birth of my son.

I resemble that remark ! :)

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 07:18 PM ----------

I guess I segregate, I have 3 complete rigs for three different occasions, the only constants are computer and mask. Although I was thinking about buying a travel specific computer just because. It would appear I too have a shopping problem, although it's been somewhat cured by the birth of my son.

....what's the old saying about $ ? 'you can't take it with you' !

I have some sacrificial pool gear but I really believe that scuba gear is durable and that the after dive maintenance is more important than a little rough treatment on a dive boat. Proper rinsing and storing is the key.
Cosmetic wear doesn't bother me. I'm more worried about mechanical maintenance and cleaning.
I basically have cold and warm water gear plus some pool junk. Regulator,computer,lights are the same for all my dives.
As we retire old gear we put into our student box for when my husband is teaching. That is mainly gloves,boots,really old BCs and wetsuits,masks and snorkels. A couple of older computers and regs.

The original 32 " BC inflator hose looks fine, but was too long so I just swapped it out for a new 24 " inflator hose instead. ...and installed a universal Atomic swivel hose on the primary 2nd-stage. ....and added a Highland SPG with 24" duokev HP hose, Seacure mouthpiece, (2) SS bolt snaps, etc., .....so now the original $ 150 reg set is hitting about $ 450 now. :)

This was a topic I brought up while loitering at my LDS on Monday. I was considering taking gear with me on the next Mexican vacation, and tipping the DM/Guide with the regs and bcd, to free up luggage space for Christmas presents on the return trip. I have acquired more than I will need, so it could be repeated on future trips for many years. I'm not sure how much they would appreciate a Calypso IV with a fresh non-OEM kit, and an older but functional BCD. None of the gear would be anything I would use for local diving.

Anything that goes in salt water is a consumable. I quickly learned that dive gear will get dented, scratched, and corroded if you are lucky. Crushed, stolen, or lost at sea if you are not so lucky.

This was a topic I brought up while loitering at my LDS on Monday. I was considering taking gear with me on the next Mexican vacation, and tipping the DM/Guide with the regs and bcd, to free up luggage space for Christmas presents on the return trip. I have acquired more than I will need, so it could be repeated on future trips for many years. I'm not sure how much they would appreciate a Calypso IV with a fresh non-OEM kit, and an older but functional BCD. None of the gear would be anything I would use for local diving.

It's not uncommon for divers to leave behind assorted gear items, especially 'consumables' like batteries, for the locals. Depending on where you're diving, older, but perfectly functional gear left behind is greatly appreciated. Places that are very remote, isolated, and economically depressed are the most appreciative of one's surplus gear/consumables. Also, those locations with high import taxes/tariffs are also appreciative of free left over gear/consumables. I'm not sure Mexico is THAT hard up but I guess that depends on the specifics. I'd be careful to still tip cash as your old gear may be pretty worthless in money terms so it could backfire on you if you don't take that into account.

Back
Top Bottom