Anyone distinguish between their 'sacrificial gear' vs their 'nice' gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alternate gear for different dives and reduntant dive gear, yes to both. I see that as different from the op's definition of sacrifical gear. All my gear gets the same care.

No sacrificial gear here either. But then I have never dove anywhere that the crew sets up your gear so that hasn't been an issue. At most they check air on or assist if requested. Shore diving Bonaire is tempting, things can get pretty beat up that way. But over the years I have become less concerned by cosmetic wear but still just as fussy about maintenance. The only thing I'd say that I still baby is my Petrel.

I'm super OCD about my gear until it gets its first scratch, then I'm kinda relieved as I then forget about it and just enjoy it. That's not to say I don't take good care of my gear, I do, just I cease worrying about the cosmetic aspect.

Alternate gear for different dives and reduntant dive gear, yes to both. I see that as different from the op's definition of sacrifical gear. All my gear gets the same care.

It's not so much a question of care vs neglect, it's a case of keeping older gear/cheaper gear on hand for certain situations where I don't want to 'trash' my nice gear. I keep ALL my gear (old and new) in great shape so it's not really a safety issue. For example, I've got my original Zeagle Ranger in reserve, it's about 15 yrs old, but still in very good shape as I stopped regularly diving it after maybe 3 years since I went with my custom DIY designed BCD/harness/wing combos that are more customizable and that are easy to 'trick out'. The 'old' Ranger would be what I'd bring to Bonaire, for example. Likewise, my newly acquired Oceanic GT3/CDX5 with DVT feature, would also be my 'Bonaire reg' as I got it cheap (and upgraded it last night with new 24" BCD inflator hose + Atomic universal swivel hose for the primary 2nd-stage) and I wouldn't freak out if it got stolen or roughed up in the surf.

I have yet to experience any incident that I wished I was NOT using my own gear since first certified. I have one set for rec and one set for tec. Scuba diving is a expensive recreation sport already.

I have yet to experience any incident that I wished I was NOT using my own gear since first certified. I have one set for rec and one set for tec. Scuba diving is a expensive recreation sport already.

Agreed, i really like having and using all my own gear, and while I've sold off or donated some of my older, outdated stuff, the bulk of my older stuff goes into the 'reserves' as it's worth more to me as 'spares' than the amount of $ I'd likely get selling it. The only situation I'd use rental/loner gear would be if I were the unfortunate victim of theft or mis-directed/lost luggage, or if I went to a really remote location where airline luggage weight restrictions or frequent flight changes would make it expensive or too much hassle to bother with all my own gear.

I have two complete sets of gear - one for travelling and one for working under the ship here. The ''ship'' set has an old dacor jacket style bcd which is far more functional for putting pliers and hammers etc in due to the amount of big pockets and I use a 12L steel tank - no weight belt because otherwise id be the anchor. Old Agualung Calypso reg and an even older Scubapro Octo. A couple of LOB's ago I bought a new wetsuit because my old faithful 3mm is probably now a 1mm and only did one dive in it before dragging out old faithful....felt like a 7mm. I use aeris accel fins when im travelling, here if the ship is docked at one of out three moorings I use either a set of old split fins or my cressi garas because the garas are long enough for me to be able to pivot on if were at the shallowest mooring (3m) - I find if ive been doing a hull inspection or something that takes a while my legs can get a bit cramped while the garas are long enough to dip into the rims of a few old tyres dumped under there and kind of anchor me if some idiot comes into the harbour too fast - particularly the jetboat. So while my travelling bcd is back inflate and hoses are funky purple milflex I still find myself in a nice newish bcd, fins, regs - mikron after jaw surgery - my oil stained torn and grubby old wetsuit is still coming out.

Most of my gear is "sacrificial" given its age. I usually do take my oldest functioning BCD with me when I travel (of course it is the same model as my other three BCDs!). Fortunately I travel mostly to warm water environments so no need to take any of my nice 7mm wetsuits (and, yes, SB members... I do have about six new ones without the infamous holes)... and I've left a few ratty 3/2mm ones behind. I do take my normal reg with me (although I have about 8 of them, all but one the same model).

I have some really really old Sherwoods I use in the pool or let my kids use there. I used to segregate beach/boat or shallow/deeper like you are thinking of doing but have re-thought that idea. It's life-support gear so I use the best I have at that moment in performance and reliability. It sure would be ironic to suffer a tragic failure with the beater stuff while your brand new mint condition A-1 super-duper gear is gathering dust in the garage.

Your heirs might appreciate inheriting the good stuff though.

Yeah, sometimes I do cringe when the good stuff gets whacked about. Like the first ding on a new car.

I have some really really old Sherwoods I use in the pool or let my kids use there. I used to segregate beach/boat or shallow/deeper like you are thinking of doing but have re-thought that idea. It's life-support gear so I use the best I have at that moment in performance and reliability. It sure would be ironic to suffer a tragic failure with the beater stuff while your brand new mint condition A-1 super-duper gear is gathering dust in the garage.

Your heirs might appreciate inheriting the good stuff though.

Yeah, sometimes I do cringe when the good stuff gets whacked about. Like the first ding on a new car.

Point taken, and like anything, best not to take things to an extreme. In my own case, my 'old' gear is in fine condition and 'safe' so I'm not worried about a malfunction due to age/neglect, but while I'll dive my Atomic T2 Titanium or one of my restored 'classic' SP 109/156's/MK 5's off a nice liveaboard, those regs won't be going to Bonaire or other places involving a lot of crew moving/manhandling gear and dragging across dive decks/sand/reefs, etc., the 'cheapo' regs will work sufficiently well in those situations.

I dive my conshelf 14 supreme's every where.. Fresh water , salt water, warm or cold.. Boat or shore... I don't dive anywhere that others can touch my or the wives kit... I am "ANAL" about taking care of my stuff... My regulators look like new and people can't believe that they are that old and have 100's of dives on them.. So no.. I don't have gear I don't care about...

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom