Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, about the battery life, the battery package info is misleading. If you look in the HC7 manual, the NPFH70 shows 155-170min for continuous recording, 85-90min TYPICAL recording time for HDV...

pakman:
ScubaBob, I don't have a problem with that button. There is a guide hole that you have to put the housing button in before it can touch the camera's button. I guess this was done to prevent accidental depression at depth. Try this, install the camera, don't open the LCD, and see if the plunger reaches that button. The spring is pretty stiff so you do need to give it a good push.

That's great to hear about the trim on your setup. Mini Dive had me worried there with talks about a lens float!

Thanks pakman - I guess I gave up after it didn't appear to reach when I tried the first time. Works fine when I followed your instructions. Now, if we could only access the entire dial-set menu underwater :)

Oh and remind to me to disable the internal flash before I put the camera in the housing! doooh! Couldn't take any stills during the dive!!

Then in my opinion Sony is doing a major disservice by suggesting the battery lasts up to 6.5 hours (those marketing types). I thought these batteries were created for the HC series of HD camcorders. Are they used on other camcorders as well with lower power consumption?

Pleased with the footage I captured from yesterday's dives. I still have to find a way to frame subjects better using the 16:9 format, but until I get a monitor that I can actually see the full frame at once, that will be difficult to accomplish by trying through the viewfinder.

Improved results are undoubtedly due in large part to reductions in plankton and more evenly color balanced light at depth. Glad we don't have red tide here, just green plankton blooms.

OK, for the heck of it, I've uploaded a short native m2t file clip (43mb) on rapidshare.com for anyone who wants to see the original output of the HC7. I think I was using the telemacro feature. With the WP-25 wide angle port, I could still zoom fully in and it also allowed me to focus a lot closer than telemacro on land...

Anyways, the file can be found here.
http://rapidshare.com/files/32381246/Crab_Telemacro.m2t.html

You can download vlc player here if you don't have the Sony Picture Motion Browser software that comes with their cameras.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

No processing done on the clip although some post production contrast adjustment really makes a nice improvement.

Sorry about the camera shake!!!

Nice clip. It really shows the detail and resolution of HDV. No problem with the shake. I know how difficult it is to keep things still, especially when you are zoomed it.

Rapidshare worked well. A lot easier than megaupload. I'll being using rapidshare from now on.

Do you have a flat port too ? They are not that expensive, and work well for closeups and macro shots.

No HC7 video today! Except it wasn't the ride tide that got in the way today! Instead, it was engine problems that didn't let me get more then 1 mile out of the harbor!

We ended up spending the whole day at Blue Car Wreck/Garibaldi Reef. I only did two dives, both to 181 ft so it will be interesting to see how the footage turned out with little but my video light to illuminate it. Also shot a fair bit in the shallows on my very extended deco stops (10X what was required).

However, today footage on the surface interval more than matched that underwater. No, no single bikini clad ladies. We had two juvenile sea lions climb up the swim step and eventually on to the boat itself where they stayed the entire day. Took 30 min of topside HDV of them.

Back
Top Bottom