Anybody want to dive some wrecks Oct 5-7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WreckWench has a trip out of Morehead City, NC coming up the weekend of their annual Seafood Festival -- Oct 5-7. North Carolina Seafood Festival

We will be diving wrecks like the Papoose, U-352, and the Schurz. We should see sand tiger sharks, lionfish, eels, and huge clouds of baitfish. There was even a whaleshark spotted a couple weeks ago!

The dive operator is Olympus Dive Center and we've got their 48' boat Midnight Express all to ourselves. Olympus Dive Center - Home

The trip includes 3 days of 2-tank diving, breakfast and lunch on the boat each day, a BBQ Saturday night, and lodging in either the dive lodge (bunkhouse) or hotel rooms.

Water temp should be 80-85 deg with 75-150ft viz.

She still has some spots available. I'm trying to find more folks to go so I can have more fun! The more the merrier!

Who wants to join us? :14:

Air temp is projected mid-80s all next week, should be the same for the trip.

Last weekend on the Cassimir and Normannia sites, bottom temp was 82 deg with 70 ft viz.

The weekend before on the U-352, bottom temp was 80 deg with 90 ft viz.

Water temps for the trip should be low-mid 80s with 75-150 ft visibility.

This trip is gonna ROCK! :monkeydan:monkeydan:monkeydan

I think those vis and temp estimates are a little optimistic, but the water should still be _very_ nice. Fall is one of the best times to dive NC - as long as the weather cooperates.

Rich

The viz and temps are what was reported by the dive op for their dives the past two weekends.

If we don't get a major storm, the temps and viz shouldn't change much.

I figured that's where they came from. Their estimates always the highest in the area (marketing and all). I expect the water will be warm and blue, just not quite on par with a place like Coz or Ginnie. At the same time, the wrecks are fantastic, the sharkies usually put on a show, and I'm sure it will be a great trip.

I hope you get some interest from this post and your similar posts on other scuba boards.

Rich

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the high viz they listed as well. I've never dived that area, but from what I've read and other folks have said, I didn't expect 100' viz. I expected more like 50'. And there is always weather to worry about. One good storm can make it better or trash the viz completely. When I dived in Dominica back in July, 20' of visibility was a good day, and they normally have 100'+.

I hope I can find some more folks to go as well, that's why I posted it in a bunch of places. To me, a big part of enjoying a trip is the people I get to meet, share stories with, and learn from. Most of my dive trips so far have been with my LDS and everybody lives around here. But this trip has people from TX, NJ, SC, MD, VA, NC, NY, TN, and BC!

You mentioned everything but the price?

You mentioned everything but the price?

$535 for 3 days of diving and 3 nights in the bunkhouse. It doesn't include tank rentals or fills. It includes breakfast and lunch on the boat each day and a BBQ Saturday night.

If you're local and don't need a hotel, boat only is $120 per day.

She's also going to give away a free return trip to somebody.

Hey Phil,
I would love to go , But I'm not that experienced. And I don't think I'll have a buddy.
I would like to get some more dives in.

And 1 more question, Do you have to go on all of the trips or can you go just one or 2 of the days?

-Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom