Anybody up for a shoredive at Sharks Cove Wednesday or Thursday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are supposed to be getting 50 foot swells out that way on Wednesday. On the news they said it is going to be the highest swells in 60 years....might be wise to go dive electric beach instead.

uuuppppsss! you got me! I missed the just kidding part....I wish I didn't have to work so I could go and watch :D

Odds are I'm going to have to cancel thursday's charter, a lot of it depends on the west swell. We usually see the swells a half to nearly a full day after Oahu does. It'll be a good day to go out the natural energy lab and watch the surf pound.

Steve

justleesa:
uuuppppsss! you got me! I missed the just kidding part....I wish I didn't have to work so I could go and watch :D

I admit when I saw your thread title, the first thing that popped in my mind was "Are ya kidding or what?!?" :D

When I heard the surf forecast, I was tempted to play hooky from work to see if I could cruise up there to take a gander - but my daughter's got school today. You know, I've lived here most of my life and I've never had the chance to get up to the north shore in the winter to see the monster swells. This one sounds like a doozy, too.

At any rate, even if it is safe to drive up that way, the traffic will be horrendous. Complete backlog all the way through Haleiwa and beyond. It gets that way when 20 ft. surf is forecast - imagine what it will be like with 40+.

Actually, I just heard on the radio they've closed the highway - the waves are already washing across.

I was at Shark's Cove back in '98 when there was extensive damage to the North Shore. I only saw it when it was 18-20ft and rising (the really big stuff came in that night) and it was scary. The waves were at least twice as high over the outer rocks of the lagoon at Shark's Cove. The "jumping spot" on the left lip of the Cove was being buried 6-8ft underwater. When a wave broke on the outer rock barrier of the lagoon, the spray shot at least 30-40ft in the air. The whitewater was thunderous; it always looked like it was going to break over into the parking lot. The ground shook. The little beach fronting the lagoon on the left side of the restrooms was completely underwater. It would've been possible to do some boogie-boarding *inside* the lagoon -- 1-2ft waves were rolling and breaking inside the lagoon. But the rip current out of the lagoon back into the Cove was undescribably fierce; it looked like a river flowing out of the lagoon. The fire station looked to be in real danger; Three Tables was gone. Looking toward the right side of the Cove, the whitewater was smashing across the rock shelf, rolling all the way in and smacking the seawalls fronting the homes there. Looking past the big rocks sitting far out on that side, surf was breaking on the 2nd and 3rd outer reefs; better than a 1/4mi offshore. A totally unbelievable spectacle as compared to summertime.

There some crazies surfing at Waimea and a lone maniac out at Alii Beach in Haleiwa; way out beyond the trench. I kept thinking: This isn't surfing. This is war.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom