Yesterday’s Urchin Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can be anything. Generally the Winter storms are over and it’s starting to warm up inland.
When it warms up inland it can cause wind at the coast because of warm air in the inland valleys lifting causing draw. When the wind comes up it draws up cold water from the deep Pacific offshore channel, so that’s why we have some of the coldest water in springtime. It can be wonderfully clear but very cold (46 degrees), or it can be warmer, low 50’s. Just like anywhere, there are generalizations but nothing is ever 100%. Just think of how many tropical trips people plan way ahead if time only to get blown out by hurricanes. There are no guarantees.
It also depends also on how much rain we get. Some late rains can come it and it can cause some runoff mud/debris, but usually by April it has already rained so much that the water runoff is usually pretty clean.
One thing about here, it never snows and it never freezes nor does it get too hot out on the coast. Even inland, temps would be in the low 70’s. There is also a ton of other stuff to do besides dive if the conditions do not cooperate.
I have no idea how equipped you are for cold water or your cold water experience level. But we’ll do our best to make sure you have everything you need to have a successful and enjoyable trip.
Meanwhile, you can take a look at Seal’s Watersports website and maybe even sign up for their free monthly online newsletter.
Nice. I'm thinking of renting an RV and doing some "camping" with the family.

I haven't done a ton of cold water diving but enough to know what it feels like.

Even if the diving sucks we can always do an awesome barbecue.

If the diving isn't good there's about a thousand really good wineries!
😄
More than that!
Plus the towns of Healdsburg, Petaluma, and Sonoma, and the whole river area, and about an hour from my house Napa, the whole Napa Valley, Calistoga, St. Helena, all these places are just great! I live here and I go to them as a tourist just because they are so cool!

That's a slippery slope.. what one calls horrible diving might not be so bad to the next guy, lol!

@Eric Sedletzky .. you've got me on a local urchin hunt! Now I feel like I have to try one. Haven't found any yet, but there's an Asian market about an hour or so from me that's pretty renowned.. I think that might be the best bet for something quality.

Nice. I'm thinking of renting an RV and doing some "camping" with the family.

I haven't done a ton of cold water diving but enough to know what it feels like.

Even if the diving sucks we can always do an awesome barbecue.
That’s a fantastic idea!
Get online and look at Stillwater Regional Park in Sonoma County. Look at the campground map and book site #3. This is an inside pro tip you’ll only find here. You’re welcome.
I stayed in that site and it’s perfect. I hope the rest of you lurkers are taking notes. I’ll snap a photo of it next time I go to Stillwater which will be very soon. It’s wooded, plenty of room, beautiful, just don’t feed the bears please.
I hope you have about two or three weeks marked out because that’s about what it’s going to take to even remotely absorb what we have to offer.

That's a slippery slope.. what one calls horrible diving might not be so bad to the next guy, lol!

@Eric Sedletzky .. you've got me on a local urchin hunt! Now I feel like I have to try one. Haven't found any yet, but there's an Asian market about an hour or so from me that's pretty renowned.. I think that might be the best bet for something quality.
I don’t know what the point of origin your market urchins are in Maryland? They could be from anywhere, including maybe Russia, but in todays political climate probably not, but who knows?
I know most or all of our west coast urchins are going to Japan and South Korea. Right now the big red market urchins are slim and not grade AA.
It’s been tough on those guys. The state is paying them a stipend to collect purples to keep their boats floating, stay moving, and in business, but not like when regular urchin diving is going on. There isn’t currently a commercial market for purple urchins that I know of. The urchin guys can make 3k to 4k a day urchin diving when the getting is good.

I could be interested in a group dive next April.

My dad is in El Cerrito and I like coming down and poking all the wrecks in the delta and the old forts on land. This year we did Feb-March and had to alter travel plans due to snow both ways, so later might be better!

I’m in SF and would be on board for a diving excursion north. I already love driving up to the Napa valley, and have been looking for an excuse to get to know Sonoma and Mendocino. If a group thing comes together I could take a couple of passengers.

I’m in SF and would be on board for a diving excursion north. I already love driving up to the Napa valley, and have been looking for an excuse to get to know Sonoma and Mendocino. If a group thing comes together I could take a couple of passengers.
Right now I’ll tentatively looking at July 30th, the end of this month.
I need to hear back from Seal’s Watersports to see if that date works for them, and if so then I’ll post up an official urchin dive in the purple urchin dive thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom