Anybody got a Heiser 190?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the working pressure was for the Heiser 190s sold here under the Beuchat label, and what DOT category they were sold under here.

If anybody has one, I'd appreciate it if they could post or PM me what the markings on it are.

Oh it would also be interesting to know the same for the 140.

My recollection from a discussion on another technical dive forum was that Heiser tanks were comparatively heavy and that the bouyancy traits on all of the large capacity high pressure Heiser tanks was pretty scary. They have been on my mental "do not purchase" list ever since.

OMG, my friend has a heiser 95 and you almost need a crane to lift it. They are the heaviest tanks I have ever seen for diving.

The weight of the larger Heiser tanks is not so much the problem, it is the bouyancy traits.

For example:

Heiser 140 - Weight = 63lbs, Bouyancy = -18.04 (empty) -28.4 (full)
Double steel 72's with manifold and bands - weight = 65 lbs, Bouyancy = -2 (empty) -12 (full)

The twin 72's hold 142 cu feet at 2475 psi, but are a couple pounds heavier than the Heiser 140. The big difference is that the Heiser tank is 16 pounds more negative than the twin 72's.

If you have to dive with a lot of lead, due to a very bouyant exposure suit, this may not be a bad thing as it would reduce your total weight (tanks and lead) by 18 lbs. But the tank weight is non ditchable and if it results in you being over weighted as well, it is a serious safety concern. At a minimum, redundant floatation becomes almost a neccesity.

So whether a Heiser tank would be a good choice or not would depend on your entire scuba system considered as a whole.

And another consideration is that even with an H or Y valve, you do not get quite the degree of redundancy that you would get with isolator manifolded doubles. So pound for pound most divers who really need that much gas are probably going to be better off with doubles.

Anyone know where to get 4400 PSI fills? I usually only get 3000-3400. The 190 would only be a 146 @ 3400. I think I'll stick with my HP120.

I once made the mistake of putting together a set of double LP Heiser 95's. I quickly sold them to someone who could lift them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom