Anybody catch Discovery Channel tonight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
Having not dived the Galapagos, I can't comment from experience. However, I understand that the water temps can be cold so she was likely wearing a 7mm suit

They actually did say it was a 7mm suit at one point so you are correct.

As a "floater" who carries a fair amount of weight, I'm reluctant to criticize any diver on this issue. However, I
will note the following: When I dove the Galapagos, I was diving with a new 7mm suit and a 3mm vest/hood. I'd have to check my log to be certain, but I think I was diving with around 25 pounds. Also, in my experience (and thus this is necessarily a scientific fact), experienced divers use less weight than newer divers. (Women use less air than men in my experience, but I haven't noticed a weight differential).

Anyway, with 6000 dives, I find it surprising that she would need 30 pounds. The camera/housing may have been somewhat positive, but probably not too much. Otherwise it would be a bit of a pain.

sdwho

RIOceanographer:
They actually did say it was a 7mm suit at one point so you are correct.

RIOceanographer:
I don't think she could have still be using the regulator for the swim back. They said she was in the water for something like 6 hours if I recall correctly. Now maybe I am just an air hog but I have yet to be able to get 6 hours out of a tank. :wink:
She said she'd only been down for about 22 minutes. What wasn't mentioned was the depth. So, assuming she had at least 1500 psi in her tank, there is no way, airhog or otherwise, she could have swam 3 hrs breathing from her tank. Perhaps she swam on her back for some time then turning to see where she was going, for which she would have needed the regulator. Otherwise, this is an example of what can happen when a diver goes solo.

Her argument for not droping weights was that she would be buoyed up too much, which from a stand point of fin effectiveness, makes some sort of sense, but not enough to not drop her weights. She did ditch her gear prior to egressing, which is when it should be done, according to my rescue diver training. I also would have kept the gear on through the swim, being that if I needed to submerge again, I would be able to do it. But, holding on to the camera???? Not to doubt the posibility that this actually happened, but it seems all too convenient how the "story" unfolded. I do, however, doubt that ANYONE would have escaped serious injury egressing where she allegedly did.

About the only thing I got from this program was that primal fear consumes a person who is idle, and that if something like that happens while diving, to not take action is worse than taking perhaps the wrong action. Oh, and that I'm not that much of a fool for carrying plenty of surface signaling devices, including flares, when I dive!!

I recorded it on TEVO, and watched the first few minutes of it late last night. I agree that it seemed a bit hyped, and the screaming became tiring; still I will probably watch the rest tonight. I'm looking forward to the Tiger Shark show too. Is Discovery Channel airing Shark Week tonight? I didn't see anything on the guide.

JustAddWater:
I recorded it on TEVO, and watched the first few minutes of it late last night. I agree that it seemed a bit hyped, and the screaming became tiring; still I will probably watch the rest tonight. I'm looking forward to the Tiger Shark show too. Is Discovery Channel airing Shark Week tonight? I didn't see anything on the guide.

Yes. At 8 pm eastern (repeated at 11). Tonight is "SHark House". By the way, I thought that the Tiger SHark show was signficantly better than the Primal Fear show, although there were parts of it (particularly the ridiculous "recreations" that made me cringe. It did a better job at suggesting that killing sharks is a stupid response to a shark attack, although for a while, I wasn't sure if they were going to get that message through or not....

sdwho

sdwho:
By the way, I thought that the Tiger SHark show was signficantly better than the Primal Fear show, although there were parts of it (particularly the ridiculous "recreations" that made me cringe. It did a better job at suggesting that killing sharks is a stupid response to a shark attack, although for a while, I wasn't sure if they were going to get that message through or not....

sdwho
I agree!!!

I didn't realize they had a show on about tiger sharks after that horrible mess they called Primal Fear. PF was so bad I turned of the tv.

I certainly hope I didn't miss something good. Are they replaying the tiger shark show again?

Damn, i dont think discovery aired it over here. It started at 8 right? When i tuned into discovery at 8 it was the bullshark against the hippo. Which was rather interesting. But i really wanted to see primal scream.

I believe that if someone gets so scared in the water to the point of losing control they should not be diving in areas beyond their comfort level or alone. That woman lost control to the point that she was not thinking. The most important thing is that she regained her cool and got out of the situation. Many divers with experience do not dive with the required safety equipment. There is no level of experience that can compete with the ocean and its mighty force. Would you go hiking in a forest without basic safety gear? When we get in the water we are going into a liquid forest full of surprises. In her case she was in more danger from the current and the giant waves than from the sharks. Instead of screaming the best course of action is to fight back. If sharks are bumping you keep a close eye on them and be prepared to fight back. The camera is good defensive weapon to push them away. Your fins etc. Never lose sight of a shark or any other predator, if you do you lose.

Divers should be at all times aware of their location. It is so easy to get lost underwater if you are diving in unfamiliar territory. If you tend to panic keep a close eye on your buddy or the boat no matter what activity you are engaged in. If you engage in solo diving you must be self sufficient and realize that the person who is going to come to your rescue is yourself. Screaming will not help you. That woman realized that she was drifting in the strong current alone in shark infested waters and kept going. Therefore, her life became her own responsibility. Was she ready to dive solo? No her place was holding her buddy's hand and filming with the other while keeping a close eye at her location in relation to the boat.

ScubaCollin:
Damn, i dont think discovery aired it over here. It started at 8 right? When i tuned into discovery at 8 it was the bullshark against the hippo.
Damn. I wish I saw the shark versus hippo show. Who won?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom