Any updates on requirement for negative Covid test to enter US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I note that not all of these tests are accepted by the CDC for re-entry to the US.

For example, the free tests I got via the government (iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test) says it is not accepted for travel. They have an app that you can store your results in but it has a tiny disclaimer at the bottom that says "This is not a PCR test and not valid for travel."

Looking for the BinaxNow test referenced above, I found the "BINAXNOW™ COVID-19 ANTIGEN SELF‑TEST" but it says specifically "This test does NOT meet the CDC testing requirements to enter the U.S. when returning from a trip abroad. For proof of a negative COVID-19 test, you have to get a different test: BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test".

I'm unclear about the different tests so it might be obvious these don't apply but I'm just calling out to readers to specifically check.

I'm thinking of bringing my own test just to hedge against any screwup getting the test before flying back.
@tursiops nailed it in a previous post. Buy any antigen test and use in conjunction with Observed Test for Travel - Rapid Test & Trace USA and you're good. Even the free Biden supplied tests.

I've been told by an MD friend that ALL "home tests" that have FDA approval can be teleproctored, not just the ones with all the advertising. I already knew my "free" ones could be telproctored with Azova, but in addition Observed Test for Travel - Rapid Test & Trace USA claims to teleproctor any FDA approved test, for $20.
If you go this route update us with your opinion on this option.

Continued reentry covid testing for US citizens at this point is a farce and only serves as a money maker for the labs and pop up testing facilities.

If you go this route update us with your opinion on this option.

Continued reentry covid testing for US citizens at this point is a farce and only serves as a money maker for the labs and pop up testing facilities.
But not American ones. Just ones in other countries. Also only for air travel. Land and sea entry exempt for citizens.

But not American ones. Just ones in other countries. Also only for air travel. Land and sea entry exempt for citizens.
Except for the teleproctored options? I assume they are US companies? And of course the companies making the tests/kits. Again I assume they are US owned or at least managed.

Everyone entering the US by air needs a test - not just Americans. Test kit manufacturers and labs especially are probably more often than not foreign entities.

I’m confused by all this “American” stuff. I’ve never examined a single test kit to see country of manufacture when I’ve been tested.

I imagine that the airlines are pushing pretty hard to eliminate this Kafkaesque BS. Theater of the absurd.

For me “American” is significant in that it is an American requirement for US citizens to enter their own country and as @Jcp2 pointed out, only by air. I can certainly understand the initial requirement, to limit spread to the US and later also an effort to slow variants. But that horse has left the barn and then some. Now it just adds to the US citizen’s emotional and possible financial stress when traveling internationally. For no public health benefit that I can discern. And why just air travel (although I think it is fairly obvious why it was never required for land).

So as a US citizen it is possible for me to travel untested to another country (Bonaire for example) but can not return home without a negative test. A country I might add that in all likelihood has a lower covid burden at present than good ole America. Why is that?

(Yes, it is a pet peeve of mine)

The US companies question is just a sidebar raised by Jcp2 and out of curiosity I checked my freebee tests although they are not good for travel. Made in Korea and distributed by Roche (Swiss). Seems even covid tests, like N95 masks and medical gloves, are not American.

I can certainly understand the initial requirement, to limit spread to the US and later also an effort to slow variants. But that horse has left the barn and then some.
My guess as to why the US is hesitant to drop the test requirement is that although the horse has left the barn with respect to the known variants, if the US drops the test requirement and a new variant with surprising characteristics pops up a few months or weeks later, the US would face a public outcry even louder than what we have now if the US were to try to reinstate a test requirement. In other words, once we drop it, it will be that much more difficult to reinstate it. Other countries may have an easier time getting the public onboard with the idea of ratcheting up and down as things change. Just my guess. That said, I think it will not be long before the US bows to public/airline pressure (or a court ruling) to drop it. And if a new variant catches us off guard, we'll just have to deal with it in some other way. Maybe we'll have a better antiviral med by then. I'm getting off topic here.

@tursiops nailed it in a previous post. Buy any antigen test and use in conjunction with Observed Test for Travel - Rapid Test & Trace USA and you're good. Even the free Biden supplied tests.
I'd like to hear from someone who has tried this before I try it. I found the Binax Now test that's bundled with the teleproctoring service so easy to use. It truly amazed me how easy it was. The proctor was familiar with the smallest details of the test kit. "If you're having difficulty sliding the swab into the slot, try ...." I suppose test kits from different manufacturers may differ slightly from each other in mechanical respects. The more seamlessly integrated the test kit and the teleproctoring service are, the lower my anxiety.

My guess as to why the US is hesitant to drop the test requirement is that although the horse has left the barn with respect to the known variants, if the US drops the test requirement and a new variant with surprising characteristics pops up a few months or weeks later, the US would face a public outcry even louder than what we have now if the US were to try to reinstate a test requirement. In other words, once we drop it, it will be that much more difficult to reinstate it. Just my guess. That said, I think it will not be long before the US bows to public/airline pressure (or a court ruling) to drop it. And if a new variant catches us off guard, we'll just have to deal with it in some other way. Maybe we'll have a better antiviral med by then. I'm getting off topic here.
But a negative antigen test 24 hours before return does absolutely nothing to stop one from carrying a new variant in… it’s beyond stupid at this point.

But a negative antigen test 24 hours before return does absolutely nothing to stop one from carrying a new variant in… it’s beyond stupid at this point.
I don't recall reading that the value is "absolutely nothing." Antigen tests aren't as sensitive as PCR, and so there are many false negatives. And it's certainly possible to become infected after taking the test and before boarding the flight. But from what I have read it is my understanding that even antigen tests 24 hours before a flight can manage to flag a significant number of contagious people. The more contagious people we keep out, the better, right?

Back
Top Bottom