Any updates on requirement for negative Covid test to enter US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont understand comment about paying later for teleproctoring. I see the Binax Now Ag card kit costs money to buy but thought we just used the phone app to submit for results. Does that cost more money and do we have to do more than that?
No, you don’t need to do more than that. The Binax Now test is sold as a sort of package deal, where the kit itself is bundled with the teleproctoring service. In other words, you’re pre-paying for the service. The service requires that you download an app. If you use a kit that doesn’t include the teleproctoring service, you’ll need to purchase the service separately, and I assume they have their own app. I wasn’t aware the latter was even a possibility until tursiops mentioned it in his post above.

I've heard that the CDC is going to drop the covid testing requirement soon. Unfortunately, we will soon need a negative monkeypox test instead. :wink:

I've heard that the CDC is going to drop the covid testing requirement soon.
Well, "soon" isn't specific enough for me. I just ordered a package of six of the teleproctored Binax Now tests for my wife and me for the return leg of our trip coming up in a couple of weeks.

Well, "soon" isn't specific enough for me. I just ordered a package of six of the teleproctored Binax Now tests for my wife and me for the return leg of our trip coming up in a couple of weeks.
Sorry, I should’ve noted that I’m totally joking. I have no idea if or when the Covid testing requirements will be lifted. I doubt it’s anytime soon, especially given the mini surge we’re experiencing. I was making a joke about the monkeypox outbreak.

Sorry, I should’ve noted that I’m totally joking. I have no idea if or when the Covid testing requirements will be lifted. I doubt it’s anytime soon, especially given the mini surge we’re experiencing. I was making a joke about the monkeypox outbreak.

Hilarious. Covid and Monkeypox. What next? Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer? 😒

Depends on where you are going. If to Indonesia, the return Antigen test costs $7 (Rp. 100,000) and they have clinic all over the place there. So, I won’t bother with $20 proctored self test.

I would bring my free test kit from CDC just in case.

You need to stop monkeying around.

I would bring my free test kit from CDC just in case.

I note that not all of these tests are accepted by the CDC for re-entry to the US.

For example, the free tests I got via the government (iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test) says it is not accepted for travel. They have an app that you can store your results in but it has a tiny disclaimer at the bottom that says "This is not a PCR test and not valid for travel."

Looking for the BinaxNow test referenced above, I found the "BINAXNOW™ COVID-19 ANTIGEN SELF‑TEST" but it says specifically "This test does NOT meet the CDC testing requirements to enter the U.S. when returning from a trip abroad. For proof of a negative COVID-19 test, you have to get a different test: BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test".

I'm unclear about the different tests so it might be obvious these don't apply but I'm just calling out to readers to specifically check.

I'm thinking of bringing my own test just to hedge against any screwup getting the test before flying back.

I'm thinking of bringing my own test just to hedge against any screwup getting the test before flying back.
Exactly what I am planning to use them for. And if I get positive Covid overseas and have to be quarantined for how many days required by the country’s Covid protocol, I’m going to use these self test kit to verify if I’m still tested positive.

I have been vaccinated 4 times, so I’m not worried about getting sick. I’m worried more on spreading my viruses to others and not being able to go home.

Also, I’ll be on a 3-week trip on private yacht going to Komodo from Bali. I’m going to use the self test kit to test all the crew including DM before cruising out to sea.

I note that not all of these tests are accepted by the CDC for re-entry to the US.

For example, the free tests I got via the government (iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test) says it is not accepted for travel. They have an app that you can store your results in but it has a tiny disclaimer at the bottom that says "This is not a PCR test and not valid for travel."

Looking for the BinaxNow test referenced above, I found the "BINAXNOW™ COVID-19 ANTIGEN SELF‑TEST" but it says specifically "This test does NOT meet the CDC testing requirements to enter the U.S. when returning from a trip abroad. For proof of a negative COVID-19 test, you have to get a different test: BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test".

I'm unclear about the different tests so it might be obvious these don't apply but I'm just calling out to readers to specifically check.

They are the same antigen test. The difference is that you are paying for the telehealth proctoring with official documentation of results when you buy the travel approved kit.

Back
Top Bottom