Any thoughts on Tulum, Mexico ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

think

New
Reaction score
I'll be going to Tulum in early June. It's not a diving trip and I don't want to burn up time going to PDC or Cozumel if I can avoid it. I'm really interested to hear comments from people who have used dive shops in Tulum. Also would love any info on the Si'an Kaan if anybody has been there (that's actually where I'll be staying.) Cenote info is good too. I want it all :D Please and thank you.

I stayed at dreams Tulum over Xmas. Tulum is a small but expanding town and its getting busier. Not bieng one of the main resorts yet it brings to the table some quiet uncrowded diving. I used Maya Diving when I was there and they were great find them http://HERE. There Cenotes man, Will (kiwi) is great, very thorough and professional. I dived 4 different Cenotes, Chak Mool, Ponderosa, Cavelleras and Angelita all different and all unique.

I can recommend Tulum if you looking for something quieter on the Riviera Maya.
PM or email me and we will disscuss it further if you wish

Is Will a younger guy working his way around the world as a DM? My wife and I stayed at Dreams Nov 2006 and they talked me into scuba - did the resort course w/ Maya Diving. AWESOME TIME!! The instructor, Will I think, was great and we had some fun dives. Didn't do any cenotes.

One thing I will say after diving w/ Jason in PDC Dec 2007 - there is MUCH more life on the reefs in PDC than I saw in Tulum. However, I dove only twice in Tulum.

We did enjoy Tulum but once at Dreams you're pretty much there. It's a LONG walk to the road which is the highway. You can rent bikes but you're biking along the highway in to town which is about 1/2 hour. Personally I preferred the easy walk from our resort into PDC. More to do, better diving. However, the beach in Tulum beat the heck out of the beach at our PDC resort and you couldn't beat Dreams for a relaxing, peaceful, romantic getaway.

Yep its horses for courses, the OP didnt want to travel to PDC though.
Agreed the diving offers a greater array further north but lets face it, its hardly rubbish anywhere in the Carib'.

Will is a younger guy from new Zealand, there is also jamie from the UK as well.

A girl from austrailia took a reef and underwater species class there, Last week so I'm sure there is some great diving there. She seen the same and more than we did in PDC, If have family grand cenote there is for everyone to enjoy.

The mayan food cooked at some of the cenotes is awesome.

Bring extra tp cause there can be times when they dont fill, there starting to build nicer restrooms.

Enjoy your holliday.

Yes your gonna see Stingray, Turtle, Moray eel, Barracuda and Grouper plus a lot more besides. Even a few Nurse Sharks in the area although the have eluded me.

H2O PRO DIVING - Training - Guiding and Xploration in the Cavern and Caves of the Yucatan Peninsula
Talk to Min Le, one of the owners. Great outfit and a stellar guide and instructor.

This may be the place I go with. Did you happen to stay at their hotel? If not, where did you stay? Did you do reef and/or Cavern dives with them? I e-mailed them asking them some info. but of course would like info. from divers who have been there too. Thanks again :D

Once you've been to Tulum PDC will never do it for you again. When not diving the beaches are exceptional.

If you are staying at Dreams I can only say that the Team at Maya Diving are great. Tim the owner has a great team behind him and I have dived with them often. I have only stayed at Dreams once but travel to Tulum 3 times a year, and I only dive with them.

There are several really nice dives and usually you are the only divers at any of the locations.

As far as H2O goes, I have not dived with Min and Marco yet, but have stayed at their hotel at the beginning of Jan. It is a brilliant place and everyone is friendly. Lots of locals stop by sit and shoot the breeze. It is comfortable and relaxed.

Marco's setup for Cave Diving seemed well set up and the next time I am down (July) we will probably stay with them again and take in a Cave Diving Course.

So in my books these are the 2 DCs to go to if you are in Tulum.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom