Any strong opinions on front mounted pockets (SM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to discuss the question.

I know that a pouch + butt dring provide enough storage room for everything, but has anyone been diving with front mounted pockets?
Is it any easier to access them vs traditional side pockets?
Are they any more comfortable (for arguments sake lets assume you place a mask + a spool in)?
What about carrying a stage? Do front mounted pockets start getting in the way?

I glued pockets on the front of my wetsuit thigh area, above the knees. They're very accessible, in standard SideMount config. The only problems are:
  1. Despite trying a bunch of different kinds of glue, the wetsuit stretches so much, that it's constantly breaking loose the glue, and made my wetsuit look not-great. So far they haven't fallen off completely, but I usually only put items in them that I don't mind losing. I may try sewing the pockets on next, or removing them.
  2. The pockets are only available when wearing that wetsuit.
One of these days I'll get a pair of tech-shorts. Those pockets tend to be on the side though. Or I might fabricate something out of some webbing, webbing-hardware, and those same glue-on pockets but sewed on to the webbing.

I'm curious other people's responses or setups, but that's been my experience so far.

edit: Pictures of people's setups would be nice too! (I'm not sure I want to share pictures of my ugly wetsuit, hah)

I use a front mounted pouch on my waist belt. No issues at all. More convenient than rear one. The thigh pockets on my Otter Britannic are towards the front also.

I glued pockets on the front of my wetsuit thigh area, above the knees. They're very accessible, in standard SideMount config. The only problems are:
  1. Despite trying a bunch of different kinds of glue, the wetsuit stretches so much, that it's constantly breaking loose the glue, and made my wetsuit look not-great. So far they haven't fallen off completely, but I usually only put items in them that I don't mind losing. I may try sewing the pockets on next, or removing them.
  2. The pockets are only available when wearing that wetsuit.
One of these days I'll get a pair of tech-shorts. Those pockets tend to be on the side though. Or I might fabricate something out of some webbing, webbing-hardware, and those same glue-on pockets but sewed on to the webbing.

I'm curious other people's responses or setups, but that's been my experience so far.
The key to gluing pockets on a wet suit is to use the ones that have a neoprene back like those from XS Scuba. Put the suit on and lay the pocket where you want it. Trace it with chalk. Take the suit off and use pieces of cut cardboard wrapped with a towel to stretch the leg so that the outline is visible around the pocket.
Make a line of Aquaseal around the inside of chalk line and on the back of the pocket itself. Then make an X from corner to corner and line across the vertical and horizontal through the center. On the suit or the pocket for these is fine. Think like 1/8th (center) - 3/16th (perimeter) beads. Lay the pocket on and weight with a large book and several pound of lead weights. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
I have suits that are over 10 years old and the only thing not coming apart is the pocket from the suit. The only way you will get it off is to cut it off.
Most pocket issues are because the pocket backing wasn't stretched with the suit. As a result the bond is taking an incredible amount of abuse.

I never tried front mounted pockets as I tend to be squeezing through things if I am diving sidemount. I have pockets on one of my suits mounted to the back of my thighs. Access is easy, they are out of the way. The only downside would be sitting down is a pain.

The key to gluing pockets on a wet suit is to use the ones that have a neoprene back like those from XS Scuba. Put the suit on and lay the pocket where you want it. Trace it with chalk. Take the suit off and use pieces of cut cardboard wrapped with a towel to stretch the leg so that the outline is visible around the pocket.
Make a line of Aquaseal around the inside of chalk line and on the back of the pocket itself. Then make an X from corner to corner and line across the vertical and horizontal through the center. On the suit or the pocket for these is fine. Think like 1/8th (center) - 3/16th (perimeter) beads. Lay the pocket on and weight with a large book and several pound of lead weights. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
I have suits that are over 10 years old and the only thing not coming apart is the pocket from the suit. The only way you will get it off is to cut it off.
Most pocket issues are because the pocket backing wasn't stretched with the suit. As a result the bond is taking an incredible amount of abuse.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

I've dove 3 different brands of drysuits in sm and have never found getting to pockets that tough. I'm always surprised when people have issues. Any chance your configuration needs to be cleaned up, putting your tanks in a better position to get to pockets?

edit: including diving stages it's a nonissue

I've dove 3 different brands of drysuits in sm and have never found getting to pockets that tough. I'm always surprised when people have issues. Any chance your configuration needs to be cleaned up, putting your tanks in a better position to get to pockets?

edit: including diving stages it's a nonissue

I dont have any pockets at all

Just wanted to hear from people about their experience with different pocket placements and if it makes any comfort difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom