Any recommendations for my first night dive in a hogarthian rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, What spot will you be diving at?

I don't know where yet - and since we are having some good surf along the coast it may have to get post-poned for a few days (I was told there is a hurricane in the pacific causing it)

We'll probably be deciding on location today as we are taking our written test this afternoon (I know -backwards from the normal of test first, then water) which finishes up all the requirements. So far all of our dives have been shore dives from Ulua beach in Kihei.

Hey Diving Preacher - come on over - I'll swap - you get the air and I'll provide the gear ;-)

Does your wife dive also? If not I'm sure she would have a great time with some of the ladies here from Church while we hit the water.

Tim

I think the main light has been covered now, but what about back ups? Have you got the lanyard off and replaced with a snap, some bungee (or other attachment hardware) to keep the light snug to your body?

Remember to check both lights before descending, with the HID dont turn it on again within a few mins of turning it off (vice-versa), but if you want to see the bioluminesence (sp?) or just how dark it is, just point the light head into your chest, best not to turn off the light in case it doesnt reignite. Are others using brighter main lights as well? I can see regular halogen 10-20w pistol grip type lights in my beam, but only just, and as others down here have found, if you go out diving with the guys using stadium lighting you hardly need to shine your little lights around (Scuba-Jenny found bugs really easily when Mo2vation (Jaye too) and myself were shining out into the dark for her to catch them (she was the only license holder). Just some concerns that come up when talking of your rig vs others in the group. Be aware of lights of others, in case they are trying to signal you, lots dont see the beam move around very well, when someone is in trouble.

kidspot:
Hey Diving Preacher - come on over - I'll swap - you get the air and I'll provide the gear ;-)

Does your wife dive also? If not I'm sure she would have a great time with some of the ladies here from Church while we hit the water.

Tim

I'm there brother, first plane out in the morning :wink:

Simbooks - thanks for the ideas. I've already put a snap bolt on the end of my backup for attachment to the harness with bungee holds to keep it streamlined. I also keep a bungee wrist "bracelet" for attaching things to my wrist when they are unclipped from the harness (camera, backup light, etc..)

Looks like our trip got post-poned this week - our instructor has to work that night (trying to catch a tiger shark for work) so we are going to reschedule for next week. But good news - everyone passed their written test yesterday and I now have my temporary card!!!! So I can go diving anytime I am off work. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to go until Thursday. . . time to call my buddy and see if he is free to go also.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom