Any recommendations for my first night dive in a hogarthian rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This Thursday I'm doing my first night dive with Scuba (this is the last dive for my BOW cert) and since no one (instructor included) has seen a Hog rig I was wondering if there were any words of wisdom, wisecracks or foolishness to avoid out there for me and my buddy? . . . Feel free to have fun with this - Though as a serious question, when I clip/unclip the lighthead from my canister light - Does the cord go under or over the Primary regulators long hose? Just carefully pass it underneath each time? Or should I clip it off somewhere other than my right shoulder D-ring?

Thanks from the "new guy" ;-)
Tim

P.S. I've actually only done 2 night dives in snorkel gear so I'm really new at this, but love the peace and quiet of the water at night. . . aside from getting stung by man-o-war, itching from sea lice and landing on urchins that is - LOL (all escapades from my last night dive) This time I'm making sure I've got my full wetsuit on, not just a t-shirt.

Congrats on finally finishing your cert!!

As for the light cord - when it's clipped off, make sure it does not interfere with deploying your long hose in an out of air emergency. In other words, if you have passed it under the hose to use it, make sure you pass it back through when you stow it.

You say no one there, including your instructor, has seen such a rig? How do you practice your air share drills with them for your OW dives?

The first thing that struck me was what agency would allow a night dive during BOW? Every agency I know of doesn't teach night diving until AOW. Aside from that, I would definately get in several dives with the gear before attempting a night dive. You need to be comfortable with the setup enough that you can find any piece of it by touch without hesitation.

Assuming you are using the light with your left hand and the cannister is on the right side, you should pass the light cord underneath (i.e., closer to your body) the long hose so that it doesn't interfere with deployment of the long hose. When you clip it off, pass back underneath (so it is now "free"), clip it off to the right shoulder D-ring and tuck the now dangling lightcord into your harness so it doesn't sang on something. Just to be sure, do a modified S-drill after this until you are confident with the procedure. The worst thing you can do is forget to run the cord back from underneath the long hose when you clip it off because you've now just trapped the long hose....could make for a bad day.

You may want to consider adding a second bolt snap to the light around where the cord connects to the ballast. That way, you can clip it off without blinding your buddies.

Soggy:
You may want to consider adding a second bolt snap to the light around where the cord connects to the ballast. That way, you can clip it off without blinding your buddies.
Or use a small bungie loop in each location and a double-ended bolt snap you can clip to either loop. Or you can just shut off the light when you stow it......

Snowbear:
Or use a small bungie loop in each location and a double-ended bolt snap you can clip to either loop. Or you can just shut off the light when you stow it......

That will work, too. Don't think you want to shut off the light on a night dive, though, eh? :)

Thanks for the help folks -

Snowbear - My buddy is also learning in a hog rig - we are getting certified together. Actually everyone else is using Air 2's so we all donate the primary - which considering all the air2's and similar devices out there I'm surprised more agencies are not recommending donating the primary exclusively - since it works in every senario.

MaxBottomtime - this is sort of our "celebration" dive after our 6 cert dives - so while we won't be really comfortable, it's kind of the icing on the cake for us. It was either this or a boat dive - the night dive won out unanimously.

Tim

Snowbear:

Great idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom