Any reason to have some dives logged on paper and signed/verified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE=doctormike;

My logs have far more information than I would ever bother write down (complete profiles with all of the raw data, extensive comments, big blocks of dive site descriptive text cut and pasted from online resources, full gear lists, buddy and dive op contact info, etc...). All of this information is always instantly available to me, wherever I am (since I always have my phone with me). Even if I drop my phone into an active volcano, all of that data is totally secure, backed up, etc.. A paper log is a flammable, drownable physical object that can be easily lost.

I don't write a lot. Most of my dives are simple. As far as security, I never take the paper log on a boat (wetness), just a small sheet of paper for data kept in a sealed jar. People sign the real book back at the dock. Every page is Xeroxed and copies kept in a firebox. Yours are backed up electronically. I suppose all my stuff can miraculously disappear, as can your stuff and the backups. Nothing can be "easily" lost. No excuse for either (paper or electronic) to be lost (but it happens, as we've all read on SB). Which way to log is just personal preference.

I don't write a lot. Most of my dives are simple. As far as security, I never take the paper log on a boat (wetness), just a small sheet of paper for data kept in a sealed jar. People sign the real book back at the dock. Every page is Xeroxed and copies kept in a firebox. Yours are backed up electronically. I suppose all my stuff can miraculously disappear, as can your stuff and the backups. Nothing can be "easily" lost. No excuse for either (paper or electronic) to be lost (but it happens, as we've all read on SB). Which way to log is just personal preference.

Right, that's what we are discussing, our personal preferences. Just because they are different, doesn't mean that we can't talk about them! :)

If you like doing what you are doing, that's certainly fine with me. Just seems like a lot of work for a lot less data, utility and security.

Do you have all of your dives in the real book on the dock?

Only time I worry about signatures was when taking courses. THen I got the instructors signature and number.
So far, I've done this and I guess it makes sense to have these for future courses as well.

listing of weight/suit/tank/water combinations of which there are over 30.
Yep, this is one of the critical pieces of data and I'm building up a matrix of my own as well. I've got this on the computer and on the last page of my notepad.

Actually can think of one scenario where keeping paper would be useful. Bonne Terre mine in Missouri has something like 32 different trails / routes (all guided tours). You start on trail 1 your first dive, then do each in secession. They don't maintain a record, they stamp your log book, and when you come back the next time, you pick up where you left off. Without the stamped logbook entry, you would be back on trail 1.
Admittedly, that's probably a 1-off situation, but it's one I'm familiar with.
Steve
Very interesting, I looked up their website and it actually says log book is required for validating mine dives.

I do like the idea of collecting the stamps and stickers some locations and dive boats give - my paper dive log book would then be kind of like a travel+dive scrap book :)

Best,
elgoog

---------- Post added April 30th, 2015 at 09:49 PM ----------

Also, thanks again for the all the information from everyone, from travel and location details to info on the dive pro track.

<<Snip>>>
Very interesting, I looked up their website and it actually says log book is required for validating mine dives.

I do like the idea of collecting the stamps and stickers some locations and dive boats give - my paper dive log book would then be kind of like a travel+dive scrap book :)

Best,
elgoog

---------- Post added April 30th, 2015 at 09:49 PM ----------

Also, thanks again for the all the information from everyone, from travel and location details to info on the dive pro track.

Yea, when I dive someplace I always ask if they have any little stickers or a stamp they can hit my log book with. It's just a nice memory thing. One of my dive buddies has a stamp with a sea turtle on it that he loves to use if somebody dives with him.

Steve

What is this logging? What an alien aspect. If a liveaboard requires proof of logged dives, a big red flag telling it is an operation geared toward newer divers where they will constantly hold your hand and will piss you off in the process. Same for the rest. If an instructor cannot tell from seeing you in the water that you are on the level for his class, again, a big red flag waving in front of you. Those who are ungraceful underwater cannot fake experience.

I don't know about you but I have seen some good divers and now have a keen eye for people who are fidgeting, uncomfortable, rushing, jerking, using extra useless movements. Also seen people who are not tech divers but a so graceful, it is a joy just looking at them. Yet there are a few on whom a compressed air is wasted on.

I have an electronic log downloaded from my dive computer, exported to MacDive and then DiveLog on my phone. I have also printed out the dives in booklet form so have a paper copy as well. Signatures are the problem, although Divelog can accept signatures written on the screen. I have added stamps to the paper copy by scanning them and then printing...just because some are quite amusing. On diving holidays I only take the last 50 or so dives in paper format for proof, I think what they are most interested in is how recent your last dive was.

I logged all my dives and have them stamped by the dive shop. However, only the training dives(from ow to full trimix) were signed by the instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom