Any reason not to use an MK2/R380 as a deco reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

That won't stop me from using it with high Fo2 mixes... :wacko: ...but thanks for letting me know.

Nor will it be a problem if you do. None of my regs have "O2 kits" in them. O-Rings and seals wear out a bit quicker, that's all.

WW

Just FYI O-ring, the Mk16 is a diaphram first stage. and it says in DIR-F I Quote:
"Since to prevent the accidental loss of a cylinder's contents, stage and deco regultaors must be turned off when not in use they are more likely to be flooded by water. Most regulators are tolerant of this but piston regulators seem especially duriable in these conditions." so I would get the Mk2
Tekkie

HDrider once bubbled...
Scubapro no longer supplies a O2 kit for the Mk2 which makes it almost useless as a regulator for deco stops as you can not use it with gas mixes above 40%. The 380 would work fine for this purpose

Mine works quite well with 80% and 50%.
Gee, the things you learn here...

MD

Tekkie once bubbled...
Just FYI O-ring, the Mk16 is a diaphram first stage. and it says in DIR-F I Quote:
"Since to prevent the accidental loss of a cylinder's contents, stage and deco regultaors must be turned off when not in use they are more likely to be flooded by water. Most regulators are tolerant of this but piston regulators seem especially duriable in these conditions." so I would get the Mk2
Tekkie

I believe the drill is turn on and pressurize, then turn off. I do not run regulators underwater without pressure as EYE have to pay for repairs, not DIR.

MD

I think that the DIR statement means to do just as Mechdiver says... the system will still be under pressure as long as you don't purge the second stage. If you accidentally purged it before you turned the 1st stage on, then you could have water infiltration which isn't good. In this instance, I don't think the DIR philosoply is really that much better of an alternative to just leaving the 1st stage pressurized. The chances of purging your second stage accidentally seem to be higher than the chances of "losing the contents of the cylinder". I think I'd rather take my chances of a hose going than my second getting purged. Just my opinion...

Sorry,
I just read that in DIR-F. I don't know if it was anything that would apply to o-ring's situation. Thanks for correcting me.
Tekkie

...is to turn the deco cylinders on, then turn them off to leave them pressurized. I check them every now and then or will reach down and crack one and close it again if I notice it is getting low (you know these things eventually bleed off the pressure, right?). The idea is twofold.... 1) by not having the bottles turned on, you avoid breathing the wrong gas at depth and croaking and 2) because you don't want the bottles on (see #1) you have to leave the regs pressurized by cracking and closing the valves so you don't damage your regs by allowing water to enter.

jamiei once bubbled...
I think that the DIR statement means to do just as Mechdiver says... the system will still be under pressure as long as you don't purge the second stage. If you accidentally purged it before you turned the 1st stage on, then you could have water infiltration which isn't good. In this instance, I don't think the DIR philosoply is really that much better of an alternative to just leaving the 1st stage pressurized. The chances of purging your second stage accidentally seem to be higher than the chances of "losing the contents of the cylinder". I think I'd rather take my chances of a hose going than my second getting purged. Just my opinion...

I think part of the reasoning for not leaving the tank on is a slow leak would cause air loss over a period of time. That would be a problem with a cylinder that was staged a couple weeks in advance of a dive, but as you pointed out, when you're wearing it the situation changes.

BUT, as the deco gas is exceeding important to your continued well-being :) , I do keep my deco tanks turned off once I'm in the water and going.

MD

I think the DIR stance on piston regs on stages and deco bottles is that you can swap out a regulator 1st stage underwater( due to problems) and that it won't get as hammered as a diaphragm unit in the same situation. Just throwing that in, FWIW!!

Back
Top Bottom