Any opinions on what conditions will be like next weekend after storm passes (WPB)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean!
But if you are bugging...not Pompano.

Chug
Looking forward to Sunday and Monday.

It's starting to lay down. I'm going Thurs, Fri, Sat......
I'll leave a couple out there for ya.... you'll recognize them, they will be the ones with a single antenna!

We are coming down to west palm either way the trips is already paid for. What would be a better dive for Sun? A charter or the BHB? We have a car so we could even drive north if it would be any better?
The farther out/deeper the divesite, the more it should be cleaned out by the gulfstream...vis should be better. I would expect Juno Reef to be better than Breakers Reef, for the weekend....Also possible would be the Princess Ann, which is also fairly deep, and often in blue water when it is still cloudy elsewhere after a storm.

As to BHB, you will get reports on Friday and Saturday about how good the vis is...so it will be a known quantity...For that matter, all the Palm beach boats should be diving on Saturday, and we will get reports regarding where the best vis was.....whether north, south, deep, or everywhere. If you are getting nervous on Saturday that you don't know yet what dive sites will be best ( because no one has posted yet), email me at dan@sfdj.com and I will get this on my phone, and can call several of the operators to get a quick answer.

The farther out/deeper the divesite, the more it should be cleaned out by the gulfstream...vis should be better. I would expect Juno Reef to be better than Breakers Reef, for the weekend....Also possible would be the Princess Ann, which is also fairly deep, and often in blue water when it is still cloudy elsewhere after a storm.

As to BHB, you will get reports on Friday and Saturday about how good the vis is...so it will be a known quantity...For that matter, all the Palm beach boats should be diving on Saturday, and we will get reports regarding where the best vis was.....whether north, south, deep, or everywhere. If you are getting nervous on Saturday that you don't know yet what dive sites will be best ( because no one has posted yet), email me at dan@sfdj.com and I will get this on my phone, and can call several of the operators to get a quick answer.

Thx Dan! Appreciate it!

Thx Dan! Appreciate it!

I am also coming down to South Florida. I plan to dive starting on Thurs. I will post viz reports here and hope others will as well to keep everyone updated. I am booked for Key Largo but may travel up east coast.

My buddy has bailed, I'd anyone is interested in diving, please let me know.

The wind hasn't really laid down yet. It is forecast to do so starting tomorrow. The good news is the shelf off WPB is narrower than points south and the Gulfstream often comes closer to shore there usually resulting in better visibility. The thing is winds aren't likely to bring the Gulfstream in close per the forecast until Friday with lighter ENE breeze. So visibility may still be somewhat reduced. There are always surprises though, so keep your fingers crossed and good diving.

Just Sunday it was nuking off here with 25 to almost 40 kts. winds at times. I went kitesurfing off Boca Raton in southern Palm Beach county between squalls. It was pretty rough and turbid.

32 sean GOPR4229.jpg

We are coming down to west palm either way the trips is already paid for. What would be a better dive for Sun? A charter or the BHB? We have a car so we could even drive north if it would be any better?
Expect BHB to be "milky". This is not to say you will not be able to navigate, but that storm water run-off will make the water "milky" and probably affect the bacteria ratings for BHB (Please note that the bacteria ratings are taken at low slack tide, in areas divers are not diving)

---------- Post Merged at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I'm hoping to hit the Wreck Trek in Jupiter this Saturday AM
This is what you should expect on the Wreck Trek in Jupiter...
20120828211534-84de8969.jpg20120828211521-fa13111b.jpg20120828211511-e5378beb.jpg
20120828211528-0667c90c.jpg20120828211518-7db6ad14.jpg20120828211524-aa92af82.jpg

I am also coming down to South Florida. I plan to dive starting on Thurs. I will post viz reports here and hope others will as well to keep everyone updated. I am booked for Key Largo but may travel up east coast.

My buddy has bailed, I'd anyone is interested in diving, please let me know.

I am booked for Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Key Largo. Don't know where we will be diving exactly though. Will staying at the Amoray with a group of about nine. PM me if you want

Seas are 2' or less as of this morning. I'm going tomorrow. By the weekend the viz off shore will be unaffected by the path of Isaac. Closer to the inlets, and in the lake worth lagoon, the sewer water being pumped through the spillways will make for murky conditions.

Dive plans from Boca Raton and parts south should have better conditions viz wise.

Last edited:
Expect BHB to be "milky". This is not to say you will not be able to navigate, but that storm water run-off will make the water "milky" and probably affect the bacteria ratings for BHB (Please note that the bacteria ratings are taken at low slack tide, in areas divers are not diving)

I think we are going to go with JDC for a Sun AM dive and wait for reports from the bridge to decide if Mon will be worth doing. If not any other good shallow recommendations? We have to get on a plane early Tue so we were trying to stay shallow.

I think we are going to go with JDC for a Sun AM dive and wait for reports from the bridge to decide if Mon will be worth doing. If not any other good shallow recommendations? We have to get on a plane early Tue so we were trying to stay shallow.
Breakers or Pauls should be great by then...Both very shallow, with lots of Gulfstream intrusion to prevent them from staying in dirty water as occurs South of Boca.
There are inlets all along the coast.( Miami, Port Everglades, boca, Boynton , lake Worth , jupiter.......being as far from them as possible after a storm, and in Gulfstream water, is what you are shooting for :)
The Gulfstream comes closest to shore and is most typically over reefs in Boynton/Horseshoe/Pauls/Breakers.....It is further out in Juno/Jupiter, but the reefs are much farther out, and still in good Gulfstream flow.
As Reckdiver said, it is a crapshoot right after a storm, because the Gulfstream meanders like the Mississippi River sometimes, and the mechanics of the storm and present winds could have it way in, or way out.

On the other hand, the water color is starting to look better, so I think the vis will start going up fast. Force E says the BHB is at 5 foot vis as of this morning, and should be much better thursday.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom