Any opinions on the Sevylor DiveYak XK2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whale Whisperer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Sevylor DiveYak XK2020 inflatable has been in the market for some time now, and I'm looking for some feedback on this neat looking Kayak. http://www.sevylor.com/diving2.html

Right now I'm looking for a good small boat that will fit my limited budget lol. I'm either looking at a 9' rubber dinghy, inflatabe Kayak, or Standard Kayak like the Scrambler XL. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

I am not expert on those inflatible kayaks but I do own boats of various sorts my lifetime. I currently now own a Boston Whaler Outrage 190, a 14ish foot Novurania (Italian made similar to a Zodiac but Hypalon fabric--25-50 hp engines) inflatible boat and a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. I would recommend a hardshell kayak like the Cobra Naviagotor, or the new Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. Any one of the these can be used for recreational paddling of a fair distance, fishing and of course diving. They are much faster than the inflatible type and suprisingly seaworthy. Like riding a bicylce first you must conquer the boat and then learn again to dive from one. It is actually quite thrilling to paddle out to sea and dive sites no shore diver could ever reach. I have nothing agaisnt the Sevlor except I fear they will not paddle well but I imagine if short distance shore diving is your need and only need then it would do. N

Thanks for the scoop N. I'd love to have a Boston Whaler, but maybe when I settle down, my job description has me moving all over the place. Zodiac is kinda out of my price range too, but I did scope out a local Ocean Kayak dealership. I've got my sights set the Prowler 13 or 15 and the Drifter. My LDS said that if I want a stable well rounded Yak, then I should go for the Prowler. I'm looking around for some opinions on that hull.

http://www.oceankayak.com/prowler13.html

Thanks!

Let me tell you this--JFYI---kayaks are sized for the expected average load. If your kayak shop tells you different be wary. If the kayak is to large it will not perform correctly because it will not "ride" in the water properly. To small and it will be unstable and plow, to large and it will not paddle well, like trying to paddle a cork. I in itially went to get the Drifter and I was told by the shop owner--who did scuba dive with kayaks --that it was way to large--for me. I left somewhat aggravated and then went back and still he would not sell me one. He insisted I buy the Scupper Pro TW. He was right, the Drifter was to large. I weigh about 185, 5-11, then consider tanks and all that for your average loads and look at a kayak that most closely brackets your typical loads. Another odd thing, long skinny kayaks can be more stable than fat short kayaks!! I think I could do well with the Prowler 13, I may buy another kayak, the Caper, for short paddles and single tank close in dives. In the Scuper I can carry two tanks, one in the back and another in the forward hatch.
Note to self, if you flood your kayak by rolling it with the hatch open or take a wave with the forward hatch open it becomes a submarine. I stick pool noodles back up in mine so that it has some flotation, plus of course trapped air. There is a whole bunch to kayaks, learning to use them, learning to remove and stow gear etc--one piece--open hatch--stow--close hatch--remove another piece--open hatch--stow--close hatch ---lol. The hatches must remain closed, gear tied down or tied off. You will roll, you may roll on purpose, so all gears and bits must be secured. N

I looked at the same exact boat for a long time but then I went all out and just bought a 14' Achilles and it was money well spent....

Back
Top Bottom