Opinions on dive gear for someone who wants to get back into diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

So the last time I dove was this past summer (July 2020) for the PADI refresher course dive which involved me just practicing some skills in a local pool. Before that though, I hadn't dived in over ten years, however I do have my open water, advanced open water, and rescue diver certifications from that time-frame (mid-to-late 2000's). I guess all I'm looking for is opinions regarding my first hypothetical gear set that I've put together for myself.

I know that the local scuba shops around here would prefer I get "their" brand of dive equipment, but I'd like to get a few more third party opinions on what I've selected, if ya'll have the time. Oh by the way, I'm located in land-locked St. Louis, MO, with the nearest diving site being a quarry about an hour away. After that, the closest place to dive is Mermet Springs which is about a three and a half hour drive away. So obviously, most, if not all of my dives will be in freshwater in fairly cool water (we're probably talking about 70 degrees, unless I decide to go deeper, lol). One more thing to mention, is that as of right now, all I plan on doing is recreational diving. No cave/tech diving for me.

Anyway, here's my gear list that I've assembled so far. If I'm missing a recommended piece of gear, feel free to let me know.

1. Wetsuit: 5 mm Henderson Thermaxx in 4XL size (TherMaxx® Men’s Back Zip Jumpsuit • Henderson Aquatics) - I already bought this.

2. Regulator: Sealed first stage Atomic Z3 regulator (Atomic Z3) - Will probably be buying this within the next couple of weeks.

3. Sherwood CG3206 Navigational Console (Sherwood Gauge) - Haven't bought this yet.

4. Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD in size 3XL: (Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD) - The ONLY reason why I'm looking at buying this BCD is because they make it in size 3XL, and I'm a pretty big guy (I'm around 330 lbs.) If there's any other recommendations for BCD's, I'll gladly listen to them.

5. Atomic Safe Second Inflator: (Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless Steel) - Haven't bought this yet.

6. Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights: (Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights) - Haven't bought this yet.

7. Oceanic Geo 4 dive computer (Oceanic Geo 4.0 Wrist Computer) - I've heard mixed reviews about this computer. Any opinions?

Thanks for your time!
I would go for a bp setup now because sooner or later caves and tech diving will catch up to you. If not, personally I dive a Zeagle 911 with a #65 bladder, some people say its overkill but with a few adjustments its just like a 40.

The one thing that I find a little uncomfortable about buddy breathing is that I'm left-handed, so if my partner is to my left, my primary goes to him, but has to cross in front of my body in order to reach him.

In a buddy breathing situation, I think it'd be more comfortable (for me at least) if my buddy is to my right. That way, my primary doesn't have to go across my body in order to reach him. Does that make sense?

Yes and no. Most regs are on swivels of some sort. When i have given octos in the past, i just hold the hose and they can grab and position or purge it as they need. How long is your hose, if its giving you that much trouble its likely too short, should be around 30-35 inches.

2. Regulator: Sealed first stage Atomic Z3 regulator (Atomic Z3) - Will probably be buying this within the next couple of weeks.

Awesome regulator but absolutely not worth getting the Z3, I'd get the Z2. The Z3 is exactly the Z2 but with a second stage swivel that is proprietary and permanently attached to the hose. Not worth the extra $100 or so for it.

4. Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD in size 3XL: (Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD) - The ONLY reason why I'm looking at buying this BCD is because they make it in size 3XL, and I'm a pretty big guy (I'm around 330 lbs.) If there's any other recommendations for BCD's, I'll gladly listen to them.

Check the Scubapro Glide BC, it is weight integrated and will last you forever. It is comfortable and fits well.

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/bcds/bcds/glide-bcd

I'd also consider BP/W BC if SP's 2XL doesn't fit you (it runs big).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom