Any opinions on Mares Avanti Excel fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lazyturtle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of these. They're repalcing my volo race fins which broke into many pieces (basically where the fin bends) in only 2.5 years.
Anybody got feedback on them?

I've got a pair and like them, though I have nothing to compare them to. I bought them on a recommendation and continue to get good comments on them from other divers... They have plenty of power and are easy on the legs, slightly positive -- so with booties that took some getting used to. The buckle is easy to use and so far has proven sturdy.

Cheers

Lazyturtle, I just bought a pair to replace my scubapro jetfins for blue water diving...

I was looking for a lightweight "power" travel fin (that plus I can't stand the foot pockets in jetfins!) and ended up with the Quattro Excels. They seemed to be the stiffest of the paddle fins at my LDS. A bit pricey though...

I had a chance to use them for 10 dives over the long Easter weekend and so far I give them a big thumbs up. Didn't take too long for me to get accustomed to them. I dive mainly tropical waters with a 3mm wetsuit so the lighter weighing Excels weren't a problem. I can only compare these to my jetfins and Tusa imprex triex (used for a brief time). The foot pocket is nice and deep and encloses most of my foot. I've noticed less strain on my calves. I've got tree trunks for legs so I didn't find them as tiring as some online reviews have mentioned.

I swim mainly with a frogkick and the Quattro Excels worked like a charm. Seemed like I would get more mileage out each kick compared to my jetfins. They also worked great in against a stiff current (much better than my old jetfins IMHO). We dove a corner site with a ripping current where we came up against a shoal of barracudas sitting out in the blue just off the point. The Quattro Excels really made it easy to swim against the current towards the barracudas and allowed me to hold my ground while I took some photos.

But even without a current, these fins are great. It just seemed like I would get more distance out of each frogkick compared to my jetfins.

They are pretty long fins and it takes a little bit to get used to manouvering with them but after awhile I didn't have problems doing helicopter turns, back finning, and other fine tuning strokes while shooting some pretty small macro stuff.

edit: oops, I didn't realize the AVANTI Excel are the full foot version. The above comments are on the same design but open-foot Quattro Excels. I would image the fullfoot design would make them even better!

Pakman: thanks that's helpful. In the past I've owned the Avanti Tres and Avanti Quatros so I'm hoping that these fins will be similar enough. I basically want a fin thats not too much trouble most of the time, but when I need power, I've got it.

Thanks Pakman - I will be buying new fins this week. Still uncertain so the excel + review helps. I was a bit worried about maneuverability with a longer fin so thanks for calming my fears. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom