any one looking for a ship wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is san pedro pt. (but you knew that).

I have topo maps of the area and from them...

it is just south of Pacifica CA. Just off of the point is San Pedro Rock. From the description I would guess that the ship sank bvetween the point and the rock. It is probably accessable from a cove 'Shelter Cove' just to the north. Just to the south is the infamous "Devils Slide" area, that eats highways.

Drive south on hwy 1 from pacifica and take the LAST right turn before the grade (San Pedro Ave). West on San Pedro to Daniman Way, right, to Shelter Cove. Left on Shelter Cove explore the end of Shelter Cove. San Pedro Pt is just to the south and west. the rock should be visable off the point.

The hillsides of the point and vicinity seem quite steep there is a small beach on the south side of the next point north (the one below Shelter Cove or Pacific Hts blvd). From this beach San Pedro Rock is a 3000 ft swim and a bering of 252 (mag).

this is just from the topos. i have not been to this spot. i have driven past it and i have been to pacifica beach (north about 1 mile from the point). there are probably houses in the area and access may be limited.

I had a pretty simple map, and it looked like it was one of those wrecks near cliff house, I guess from what your saying it's further south? I need to check into this as I can probably scratch up a nice boat if I/WE pay for the cost of fuel getting it down there. If you live nearby, why don't your start keeping an eye on the currents, swells, etc, to see even if it would be a safe dive for me/us. That would be a great help

diverrick:
I had a pretty simple map, and it looked like it was one of those wrecks near cliff house, I guess from what your saying it's further south? I need to check into this as I can probably scratch up a nice boat if I/WE pay for the cost of fuel getting it down there. If you live nearby, why don't your start keeping an eye on the currents, swells, etc, to see even if it would be a safe dive for me/us. That would be a great help

There are a lot of good books out on shipwreck hunting. They talk about the entire procedure.

You just finished Step #1, finding the approximate general area of the wreck.

Step #2 would be grid-dragging it or using side-scan sonar to locate it precisely. You will need a GPS unit on you boat too, to come back to the same spot.

Step #3 would be diving it, and marking it.

Step #4 would be diving it with metal detectors.

Most of the NorCalif wrecks are pulverized into underwater junk piles. Many of them still leak fuel oil, as well.

Good luck hunting!

Yes, its about 10 miles south of the cliff house.

I live in San Francisco.

I am game to at least explore the possiblity of a dive there. I can see the ocean off of san francisco. I will go check it out, in pacifica, when I am down there.

This is a very exposed point. The area is steep and rocky. An approach from the ocean is the only possiblity. It is exposed enough that the ocean state will be similar to off SF.

904 September 3
Wrecked at San Francisco Cliffhouse, Point San Pedro, on
voyage San Francisco to Puget Sound.

is the relevant point from the page at

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/S...rton(1881).html

is that Pt San Pedro is not in SF or near the cliff house. Pt San Pedro is at the GPS coordinates give by the original link. The original link

http://www.cinms.nos.noaa.gov/shipw...drumburton.html

gave the following description of the wreck:

When she had passed out of the Golden Gate the fog
closed in and a treacherous sea carried the ship on the
sharp rocks of Point San Pedro, 10 miles south. The
bottom was punctured in several places and the ship
settled quickly into a saddle of rocks

there is also a picture that purports to be of the boat on the rocks. With the fog, and perhaps becalmed, the boat could have drifted on the current (which is generally southerly here). In this case a very unlucky boat could ground there...

Hey BA Hiker. Be an angel and check the area out for us and see if it can be done as a shore dive. Maybe keep an eye on the conditions as well seeing as your much closer then I, maybe we can spot a trend that will allow for some smooth water while attempting to find it. Sounds like most of the info is pointing to the 10 mile South location. Not being familiar to that area, I cannot tell if the picture is of the site or not. I kinda had the same impression as well though. Let me know.
Thanks

I went down there today to check out the area last weekend. Did not check to see if there was a way to the beach or shore as it was raining hard when i got there.

Did check the surf, surge and general water conditions from the road, about 150 ft above the water. The water was rough. the seas were 5 or 6 ft from the east, smashing directly against the point. I would not have dove there that day. The seas have been generally from the south west lately (typical winter storm pattern), and Pt San Pedro.

From the California Costal Project i found a picture

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...,0,468,0,37.600167,122.517333,360,225,110,253

this is the point of san pedro, the wreck might lie just off the point. This one looks at the point from just north..

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...,0,468,0,37.600167,122.517333,360,225,107,243

Back
Top Bottom