Question Any issues with swapping my Hollis DCX First stage with a DC7 or MK 11 - DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Stallman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI guys and gals— WE are heading to RAJA in March next year. I have been diving a HOLLIS 200LX /DCX first stage and it is really heavy. It is fantastic but I’m trying to trim weight. I bought a ScubaPro MK11 First STage to swap and now I’m looking at the DC7 DIN because it is 1.1 pounds. The lightest I have found for what I’m willing to spend. I’m a rescue diver by certification— lol. Any advice on the pros and cons of interchanging the firsts and the wight would be very appreciated!

Mk11 is pretty unbeatable as a small form-factor diaphragm. That said, it's unsealed, for whatever marginal cost that imposes for rinsing. It's perfectly suitable to pair with your 200LX, though that would hardly be my preference for a second (as a service technician).

On the other hand, since Hollis redesigned the HP seat and volcano mechanism, the lockup is much crisper and the drift I used to have in my DC7 is gone. More important, the seat (that used to be the volcano) gets changed every time, and the moving volcano/valve piston (that used to be the seat) is loose and easy to polish. Much better design. And finally, it's sealed.

I'd stay with a DC7 DIN, if ounces are important.

But if you're changing to a whole new reg set, a Mk11/C370 is a great value, and a better second stage.

Wow thank you. So are you saying the 370 is better than my 200 LX second? The whole setup is light than what I have , but from a cost perspective and having only 80 dives on my 200, was thinking just changing the first . And if I do that the DC7 sounds like a better choice, esp. being sealed? Is that right?

The C370 is head and shoulders above the 200LX! Zero doubt in my mind about that. This balance chamber mechanism is overly complex, reverse threaded, and a PITA to service properly.
IMG_20221203_173824.jpg
A little hard to find a loose C370 second stage for a reasonable price. Scubapro doesn't make that part easy. But if you could find one, pairing with your DIN DC7 (if the valve components have been upgraded) is a fantastic sealed lightweight travel set with excellent performance.
But if you can't find a separate C370 at a reasonable price, the Mk11/C370 set is reasonably priced. You could recoup your costs by reBaying the new Mk11, or have a spare first. You won't get what the DC7 is worth on the use market, because it didn't have a great rep. But after the valve upgrade, I think it's a solid regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom