Any high value AI wireless computers I should know about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver and trying to piece together all my gear. I recently learned (and purchased) HOG regulators. They are very high quality for a very affordable price, and I would never have known about them had I not asked on these boards.

So I'm asking the same thing about computer - I'd like a wrist computer because I freedive as well and would like something that could be worn separately as a depth gauge and timer.

I would like an AI computer that's wireless as well, but I don't have $800 to throw around. Are there any cheaper but high quality wireless AI computers that I don't know about?

If I really can't afford a wireless AI, can anyone recommend a watch style computer and an SPG, along the lines of greatest bang for your buck?

I have no specific recommendation, but buy only computer where you can replace the battery yourself.
Sending in Computer waiting weeks (in some cases month) to get it back just slightly cheaper than a new cheap computer is really a pain.

I know nothing about computers (John Banner) but it seems that Oceanic provide good things judging from looking and listening and although dearer than a package you can buy the wrist bit now and the transducer later or not at all or another brand as long as the wrist bit has the capability.

You should know about the unreliability and unnecessariness (ie low value) of any "wireless AI."

I do know about the reliability and necessariness (ie high value) of the Oceanic transducer I have for sale with new battery and free postage if you have a compatible Oceanic product (not John Banner).

I do know about the reliability and necessariness (ie high value) of the Oceanic transducer I have for sale with new battery and free postage if you have a compatible Oceanic product (not John Banner).

Er.......why are you selling it?

I absolutely love my Uwatec Aladin SmartTEC, but the AI is truly a pure nice-to-have and I like gadgets. I'm waiting on my Galileo Sol. :yeahbaby: (But I'm a gadget gal!)

If you want a good computer that will do you for a good long time, look at the Uwatec TEC 2G.
http://www.scubapro.com/media/d50482de-75d5-4b6c-9423-c3d37b7dd8f2-AladinTEC2G_US.pdf

The reason I say this is because you get a fabulous computer, and if you choose to upgrade to an AI in the future, the TEC 2G is a great backup computer.

You should know about the unreliability and unnecessariness (ie low value) of any "wireless AI."
What do you mean by that? My dive computer didn't make anything wrong, ever, as well the transmitter worked perfect without mistake.
Of course in any dive which gets close to the limits you should also use your brain and have backups. But in all my dives I never had any wrong information and I don't know anyone with problems.
So what are the unreliabilities?

What do you mean by that? My dive computer didn't make anything wrong, ever, as well the transmitter worked perfect without mistake.
Of course in any dive which gets close to the limits you should also use your brain and have backups. But in all my dives I never had any wrong information and I don't know anyone with problems.
So what are the unreliabilities?

"Failure to link" is the most common complaint here on SB. Go to the computer/gauges forum and do a search for "air integrated problems" if you're really interested.

I would like an AI computer that's wireless as well, but I don't have $800 to throw around. Are there any cheaper but high quality wireless AI computers that I don't know about?

Any particular reason you're looking for an AI instead of just using an SPG?

Some things to think about:

1) If the computer fails (flood, battery, etc.) you lose your air pressure as well. Since a failure of any type should mean you're heading to the surface anyway, it shouldn't be that big a deal, but not knowing your pressure can stress some people. Plus its an added inconvenience.

2) Many people complain of failures to link between the transmitter/receiver. To remedy this they carry a backup SPG. If you're going to have an SPG anyway, why bother with AI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom