Any good social network website for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? All you do is start a thread in the appropriate forum. Or you can open a thread where you do detail your dives. Link to your blog or whatever they call those things. You really need to explore the forums more before making statements like that.

You can make some good progress here on SB and it's a great resource when traveling around. I have managed to link up with some great folks to allow for dives while around the country on business.

After that to drill down to high intensity local stuff you want to get involved with a club. Our club for instance, the Maine-iac Divers has a site and we "socially network" using a Yahoo Group. Here you will find nus planning and reporting on dives. Some clubs are running stand-alone forums similar in construction to ScubaBoard.

Once you begin to network dives get planned in and and out of the forums as relationships develop and preferences emerge.

Other than being part of a club or watching local shops that plan trips you aren't too likely to find many divers posting their long term vacation plans online.

There is also divebuddy.com but even that is a pretty broad net to cast.

Pete

Really? All you do is start a thread in the appropriate forum. Or you can open a thread where you do detail your dives. Link to your blog or whatever they call those things. You really need to explore the forums more before making statements like that.

how would people find my thread about my dive details and experience in million other threads. they would get lost here looking for that one post with my dive logs

how would people find my thread about my dive details and experience in million other threads. they would get lost here looking for that one post with my dive logs

The same way we found this one. They either refresh new posts and look at things that interest them, or they do a search for keywords and check out the results.

How would they find them in a "social networking" site? We have a search function, but since you are new I'll give you a helpful hint: Do a websearch like this (I'll use one of my local dive spots for an example)- "scubaboard:laguna shaw's cove"- There are 4 pages of results.

Also, if you list more details in your profile, other members can look at that and connect with you. Seriously, unless you are looking for an active chat room (we have that too) you will find almost anything you want on this board.

Some people want a matchmaking scuba site, which is what killed Singles forum here, in my opinion.

It's my observation that most people don't really make full use of the Scubaboard search functions, which you can apply specifically to any sub-forum ... witness the number of times the same question gets asked in a given forum, sometimes several times a week. Yeah, I have a Facebook page, and Scubaboard has a Facebook page, but I can search for info on Scubaboard with its 100,000+ members faster and easier than I can sift through a Facebook page.

If you want to cover your bases, by all means check out the Scubaboard Facebook page. I see that people there are discussing their dive plans for the summer. But if you check into any of the regional forums here on SB, you're likely to find the same info. The regional forums also have the "Trips and Local Marketplace" sections, where divers are often looking for people to fill out trips, often at "hot deal" prices. Sometimes, there are threads that are a lot more local ... "Hey, I'm diving Joe Blow's Hole (oops, tasteless example) this Saturday at 10:00. Anyone else coming out?" I'm thinking of posting in a regional forum to fill out a liveaboard, since I can't think of better people to invite than SB members.

You haven't filled out your profile, so I can't direct you to the appropriate regional forum, so go here Regional Travel and Dive Clubs - ScubaBoard and find your local group. I'm betting you can find opportunites there to network with other divers.

At any rate, welcome aboard the 'Board!

Post frequently so it comes up in 'new posts', and so that people start recognizing your user name. I've met up for dives and club meets with a bunch of people on SB.

Scubaboard is a great resource, but it's not some oasis where we all ogle each other's dive reports and devote ourselves to knowing future dive plans.

It can get pretty close, though. You have to make use of the regional sections, and there, it actually has a huge benefit over other social networking sites, like Facebook, where you would have to spend more time and energy filtering out people who were geographically unable to dive with you. You go to your local section of this board, and you've narrowed down your filtering needs considerably. The board has huge advantages over many social networking sites due to its archival and search functions, allowing you to do indepth research on dive buddies, facilities and sites.

Then, you can post about specific dives that you want buddies for, and see if you can hook up. I've met and dove with probably a hundred people through this site.

I personally don't really read many people's dive reports, and I don't go looking for buddies very often. But, when I do want to know about a site, or do need a buddy, SB is the largest and best resource on the web. The only thing better might be small discussion boards made by small local dive clubs, but even those could use SB as a resource for discussion. And, the only advantage of those small club boards would be the decreased need for filtering to find and focus on your friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom