Any good diving off Myrtle Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSCUBADOOBA

Contributor
Reaction score
We just did the Hyde last weekend and may end up driving up to Wilmington to go with Aquatic Safaris again, but wondered if there were any good dive ops in Myrtle Beach and sites?
Angela

Where are you driving from?

This is some so-so diving and some great diving off Myrtle Beach. Coastal Scuba (coastalscuba.com) and Dolphin Dive Charter (book via NuHorizons @ www.southcarolinadive.com) run out of N Myrtle and Express Watersports runs from S Myrtle.

I dive from N Myrtle on a semi-regular basis and typically decide who to dive with based on the sites they are visiting. Farther offshore is better. Sherman, Barracuda, Pinnacle are all inshore sites. They are in the 50-60ft ranges, suitable for new divers, and can be interesting dives. They typically do not have great viz.

Governor and BP-25 are mid range, deeper but better conditions. The Hebe and St. Cathan are premier sites. IMO they rival anything on the NC side of the border.

Summer tourist season can sometimes lead to a boat with some 'rusty' divers and a bit of a cattle boat feel. My personal preference, if both ops are going to similar sites, is Dolphin Dive Charter.

Hope that helps-
Rich

Last weekend at Barracuda Alley it was low 80's on top and mid-70's at depth.

What is it like in mid-November? I'm headed down to play some golf, but thought i might head out early and get a few days of diving in!

By mid-november you are pushing the end of the traditional dive season. People do dive year-round, and the diving can be spectacular, but it can be hard to find charters with enough people to run trips.

Rich

It's been about 8 years, but I was happy with Coastal SCUBA in N Myrtle Beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom